108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to set Trunk mode on HP Switch JH295A

SOLVED
Go to solution
James_hic
Visitor

How to set Trunk mode on HP Switch JH295A

I have a new HP OfficeConnect 1950 12XGT switch and am wanting to set two of the ports into Trunk mode. On older models this could be accomplished using a serial connection and setting the Trunk# and mode through an admin menu. In this new switch those options are not available and in the web management interface the available options are LACP Static and Dynamic. That's all.

VMWare ESXI is requireing the ports be set in trunk in order to do NIC teaming in the virtual evnironment. 

Is this possible? And/or is either Dynamic or Static identical to Trunk?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
jmpk
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please refer below HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Switch Series User Guide , check Network services features  from page 27 . Refer from pager number 97 for configuration examples. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04657809

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
James_hic
Visitor

Based on the user manual you provided, it would appear that HP has now adopted the term "Trunk" to mean something different than it has historically, which in turn will change the way that VMWare is going to have to write thier documentation. 

Page 32 of the HP Switch user manual: TrunkтАФA trunk port can forward packets from multiple VLANs. Except packets from the port VLAN ID (PVID), packets sent out of a trunk port are VLAN-tagged. Assign a trunk port to the untagged port list of the PVID of the port, and to the tagged port lists of other VLANs

In the past HP switch trunks were just multiple ports configured to use LACP and "Port Tagging" was used to add multiple VLANs.

Now all I have to do is figure out what VMWare is trying to conceptualize when stating the ports on the HP switch need to be set in Trunk mode.

While the HP manual provides the information I need to set two ports to use LACP together, it does not offer information on what the difference or similarities between HP's original termenology "Trunk" and the new terms  "Aggregation group" or "Link Bundling" are.

If I knew this, I might be able to decipher what VMWare is trying to accomplish in their instructions to set the ports to "Trunk" (old HP termanology)

James_hic
Visitor
Solution

For anyone else faceing this issue. Setting the ports Aggrigation Mode - Static works with VMWare Esxi 6.7.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The point is that HP (HPE and now Aruba, owned by HPE) - over years - adopted a term ("trunk"), based on the switch series examined, to refer to two very different features (links aggregations adversus carrying more VLANs).

Examples:

• Comware 5 NOS based switch series (including HPE OfficeConnect 1920): trunk = carrying more VLANs on a interface.
  • Comware 7 NOS based switch series (including HPE OfficeConnect 1950): trunk = carrying more VLANs on a interface.
  • HP/HPE ProVision of HP/HPE ProCurve now Aruba ArubaOS-Switch of HPE Aruba NOS based switches: trunk = aggregating more physical interfaces into a new logical one.
  • Customized Linux NOS based switch series (HPE OfficeConnect 1920S now Aruba OfficeConnect 1920S): trunk = aggregating more physical interfaces into a new logical one.
  • ArubaOS-CX NOS based switch series: trunk = carrying more VLANs on a interface.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner