1753701 Members
4842 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to set up dial into remote access with XP

Richard H. Berman
Occasional Advisor

How to set up dial into remote access with XP

I currently have an XP Pro machine at work and a DSL modem, each plugged into a 100Mps ethernet hub wired office. I would like to be able to dial into my office from home (where I can't get Broadband yet) and log into the DSL service for internet access as well as office access if necessary. I would be willing to add a dedicated XP Pro machine or a modem/router which can handle this as long as the price is reasonable. Any ideas?
thanks,
rich berman
5 REPLIES 5
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to set up dial into remote access with XP

You are confusing me by mixing terms like "DSL" and "dial". With DSL there is no dialing, it is an always on technology. Well... there is PPPOE but I'd rather not get into that.

I have setup back-to-back DSL modems with LDDS circuits through the local telco and it works quite well. To do this, you need to be able to get an LDDS circuit to the two endpoints and you need DSL modems that can be configured as master/slave (I know, not politically correct).

I am guessing though that if you cannot get DSL service at your home that you would not be able to get a LDDS circuit either. So then, are you looking for a way to do RAS dial over POTS?
Richard H. Berman
Occasional Advisor

I am looking to do RAS from my slow 56k home modem. I'm not sure what POTS is.
rich
HRE
Valued Contributor

POTS: Plain Old Telephone System => means std. analog Phone, no ISDN. For remote Dialin you have to install the RRAS Service.
Richard H. Berman
Occasional Advisor

My question is how do I install and setup RRAS at my office so that I can dial in from home and access the internet (which is DSL at my office currently). I'm trying to eliminate my home dialup ISP service.
Thanks
rich
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you are not the network admin. Us network admins go to great lengths to prevent our users from setting up RAS dialin for security reasons.

Sorry