Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748265 Members
3798 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How would I go about isolate hosts on a 2650 ?

Willy Le Roy

How would I go about isolate hosts on a 2650 ?

I have this network setup : hosts are accessing the internet through 2650 procurve switches (revision H.10.83, ROM H.08.02), which are interconnected by a 4108gl procurve switch.

2650's miss the 'isolated port groups' feature implemented in 2300/2500 switches, but I'd like to have the same behaviour : each host can see the network gateway via the uplink port, but can't see each others.

How would I go about doing this ?

Currently my 2650's have arp-protect and dhcp-snooping enabled, all hosts belongs to the default VLAN.
3 REPLIES 3
pt307
Advisor

Re: How would I go about isolate hosts on a 2650 ?

It sounds like you want the 'filter' command.
Willy Le Roy

Thanks for your help

I did add this :
(the uplink port is 50)
# filter source-port 1-48 drop 1-48

Considering the 2650's are connected to a core switch (that doesn't support this filter feature), I assume hosts would still see each others through it ? Also, if this is true, it means network performance would be degraded, by moving all non internet traffic to the core switch instead of switching it locally ?

Does my assumption actually makes sense at all ?
Willy Le Roy

I added static mac entries to each of the uplink ports so they can't learn hosts mac adresses from other switches (one entry for each device host should see, such as internet gateway, dhcp servers and such)

I use this config :

#port-security 50 learn-mode configured address-limit 8 mac-address

The only drawback is that in case the gateway or one of the servers get replaced, I'd need to update those entries accordingly, but this is not really a problem.

I need to perform further testing, but so far it seems to work just fine

Thanks again for your help