108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Howto setup HP laserJet 4V w/ Jet Direct for Ethernet

SOLVED
Go to solution
Salman Sheikh
Occasional Contributor

Howto setup HP laserJet 4V w/ Jet Direct for Ethernet

I just setup a new "Workgroup" type networking with 8 machines. I have HP LaserJet 4V printer with jetDirect ethernet card. Could somebody please hlep me howto set it up. If I need a print server or need to assign a static IP address for this printer. If you canrefer me to some site, I will highly appreciate it.
Thank you
Salman
4 REPLIES 4
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

It's going to depend on how your network is configured, but your printer is probably best setup with a static ip - you can do that through the control panel if it's an internal JetFirect card. Once that has been done you can use the JetDirect CD to install the printer on each PC and voila!
Salman Sheikh
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response. Do you mean control panel in Windows or in Printer itself? Sorry, I've never dealt with it before. My networking is simply workgroup with dynamic IP addresses. All computers are connected to a router & hub.

I have one router and one hub connected through the uplink. I used crossover cable? Is this right or I should use straight-through cable? People who are connected to the router are not able to connect to people who are conected to the hub. So I was wondering if printer could be used for everybody.
Thank a bunch!!
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor
Solution

To connect the hub to the router use a straight- through cable to connect an uplink port to a normal port - use the cross-over cable only if you are going from an uplink port to another uplink port or from a normal port to another normal port - you should get link lights on both ports. All the users should be able to connect to one another and to the printer.

I was referring to the printer control panel when I said to set the ip manually in my first post. Since you are using dynamic addressing, you will need to prevent the router from "leasing" the address you set the printer to - this will vary according to the type of router you have - another way would be to set the printer to an address that is higher than your router can be expected to lease given the number of workstations.

For example - IF your router is issuing addresses in the 192.168.1.x range and you have 8 PCs, you will normally see addresses between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.9 on the PCs - you can safely set the printer to 192.168.1.200
Salman Sheikh
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much, it was a very helpful response. From now on, when ever I set up a printer like this, I will remember you -:)