7060 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hp Procurve Switch 4000M Link Lights

Travis Krampy
Occasional Advisor

Hp Procurve Switch 4000M Link Lights

Hi,

I have 2 HP Procurve 4000M siwtches. One server was sending out alot of errors for a while. So I decided to test to see if it sends out errors on anohter port (thinking that the port could have been bad).

WHen I unplugged the server from that port on the switch, all of the lights on the switch came on and stayed on. No blinking or flickering. Just constantly on. I havnet tried to restart the switch.

So now if there is a computer connected to that port, but the computer is off, the light stays on till I unplug it. Plug it back in, and its back on constantly.

Why did this happen?

There have been no problems, slowdowns, or errors. It just concerns me that those lights dont flicker.

Any ideas? Should I restart the device?

Thank you

-Travis
4 REPLIES 4
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Re: Hp Procurve Switch 4000M Link Lights

1. I would restart it.
2. If you plug the server in the other SWT and unplug it - you get the same symptoms?
3. What is the Event log saying?
4. Do you have air conditioning in the room where the malfunctioning SWT is?
Travis Krampy
Occasional Advisor

OK well,

I didnt restart it, im going on vacation tomorrow. I may restart it, but its most likely I wont till I get back.

The Other switch is on the first floor and I really dont think I would be able to take it down there to try it.

The event log is showing nothing out of the ordinary. mostly "informational" messages. A few "warnings" about CRC errors. Now the strange thing is, when I telnet into the switch, and check the event log, the date isnt set right. It thinks it march 24 1990? The events that I am seeing in the event log are adding up to whatever is recent. Cause a few months ago, I was getting CRC errors coming from about 20 computers, now I only get it from 2 (one being that server and the other from another server). I only get about 2 CRC errors a day from those ports.

Unfortunately there is no Air Conditioning in this room, but it stays fairly cool (below 75F).

I know that I should restart it and see what happens. Ill possibly do that tonight, or when I get back from vacation.

Any more suggestions???

Thank you

-Travis

OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

1. So it seems to me that your last power outage (or first SWT power-up) was 2 months and 24 days ago, and you have not set up the right time protocol. On 4000M you have 2 choices: TimeP and SNTP. Both time protocols require a time server somewhere in your LAN. TimeP, as opposed to SNTP, remembers the right time after a SWT power outage (this holds true for C.09.16 firmware version): SNTP always starts from 1.Jan.1990 after the power recovery - small bug in the firmware.

2. Maybe the server you just unplugged was your time server?

3. Can you get the server, through a long UTP cable, in the SWT next floor?

4. The second SWT has solid lights, also, when the server is unplugged?

5. Excessive CRC/alignment errors (copied and pasted from Help option of the Event log):
Description: A high percentage of data errors was detected on this port.
Possible causes: Faulty cabling or topology, half/full duplex mismatch, a misconfigured NIC, or a malfunctioning NIC, NIC driver, or transceiver.
Actions:
A1. If this port is 100Base-T, make sure the cable, connectors, punch-down blocks, and patch panels connecting to the port are Category 5 or better. Verify the correctness of the installation using a Category 5 test device.
A2. Check the directly-connected device for mismatches in half/full duplex operation (half duplex on the switch and full duplex on the connected device, or the reverse).
A3. Update the NIC driver software.
A4. Verify that the network topology conforms to IEEE 802.3 standards.
A5. Replace or relocate the cable. Also check the wiring closet components, transceivers, and NICs for proper operation.

Cheers,
Dan
Travis Krampy
Occasional Advisor

Well yes in fact the server that I unplugged was the server that distributes time.

I did fix the time through telneting into both switches.

I can order a cable long enough to try plugging it to downstairs.

Both switches are updated with the latest firmware.

As for the excessive CRC. One server is set for AUTO and so is the switch. All workstations are set to 100/FDx and so is their switch ports. We are going to change the server and switch to 100/FDx sometime. I believe that may be why I get some on that server. we may have to get the latest NIC drivers too.

The other server (all our servers are netware servers)giving off CRC errors, im guessing, might be the fact that we still have IP and IPX on the same board, even though we are running an IP only environment.

I noticed that after I changed the workstations from IP/IPX to IP only, I got less and less CRC errors till there were none (except only the errors coming from the server).

I dont know if IPX was the cause of the massive CRC errors in the begining (along with duplex mismatches that are resolved), but after I changed to IP only the CRC errors seemed to go away.

When I get back from vacation (Wednesday) I will start troubleshooting as to why I get all the lights on, on one switch.

Do you think its safe if I reboot the switch?

Thank you

-Travis