Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I became disappointed with HP´s philosophy

MariusM
Occasional Visitor

I became disappointed with HP´s philosophy

I became disappointed with HP philosophy

Today, I was taking part in a kind of roadmap product show for HP Procurves. We were looking into the year 2010.
As you all know, the 3500/6200/5400/8200 series all have the same builtin ASIC from HP. According to the author, it is meant to be supported for 10 years. According to her, the rest of the products, i.e. <= 2910 is meant to be supported for 4 years, beginning with the first shippment. (This was actually new to me)
Well, I myself was very interested in the upcoming IPv6 support and I was not disappointed with this respect. Within the 2nd (HP´s) quarter of 2010, despite the static IPv6 routing support, we will finally see OSPFv3. Also BGP4+ will come, softbased MACSec was mentioned as well. No sign of IS-IS for IPv6.

Nice thing I thought, We bought the 3500yl, 6200y and later the 5400 and 8200 series right from the begin of their lifetime.
You all know HP´s lifetime warranty for hardware. And you probably all know that HP changed its warranty terms with respect for software uprades and updates. Starting with 1 February 2009, you only have 1 year of both of them for free.

But hey, we bought them years before. So, no problem I thought, I get every update for my devices for free, for lifetime.

Then, that HP madame, started to display new products, which will also come in 2010, just when IPv6 routing will arrvie: an upgraded 3500yl, 6200yl and a big brother of the 8200.

I interrupted her, asking her, whether only that new products will have those nice new features builtin or whether we old customers will also have them.

"Well" she said, "as you all know" from the beginning of 2009, "you need servicepacks for software upgrades".

Well, that´s not the question. What about the products, bought before that?

"IPv6 is seen as enterprise feature".

Yes, we are enterprise. I didn´t like her way how she answered me. Finally she had to admit, that she

"CAN´T PROMISE THAT THERE WON´T BE ANOTHER 2ND PREMIUM LICENSE REQUIRED FOR IPV6 ROUTING SUPPORT".

So HP, tell me the truth here.
6 REPLIES
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

Re: I became disappointed with HP´s philosophy

So are you saying that HP have stopped providing Lifetime warranty for the ZL/YL series switches?

Thats it, I am replacing my ProCurvefleet with Netgear, no- DLink.!
Marcus J
Frequent Advisor

Is this true?
Will you need carepacks to receieve firmware upgrades for HP Procurve's?

Why would HP Procurve remove the lifetime warranty now, when cisco just have released products with limited life time warranty.
ie 2900 series 3500 series and so on...
3com also have a limited lifetime warranty.
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Hmm, sounds worrying. Thanks for the info Marcus.
Can someone point me to more information on the following please:

""Well" she said, "as you all know" from the beginning of 2009, "you need servicepacks for software upgrades"."

It's certainly not something I've been made aware of!
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

Everyone read the HP terms & conditions. only the new Wireless controllers (former coluburis & the one and 745 module for the zl switches) are limited warranty with 1 year and additional updates software/firmware for above available with 3/4 year warranties/carepaqs what ever you want to call them. See below, taken from website. Time to Panic - Aborted...

For as long as you own the product, with next-business-day advance replacement (available in most countries). The following hardware products have a five-year hardware warranty for the disk drive and lifetime hardware warranty (for as long as you own the product) for the rest of the module: HP ProCurve ONE Services zl Module, HP ProCurve Threat Management Services zl Module, and HP ProCurve MSM765zl Mobility Controller. The following hardware products and their related series modules have a one-year hardware warranty with extensions available: HP ProCurve Routing Switch 9300m series, HP ProCurve Switch 8100fl series, HP ProCurve Network Access Controller 800, and HP ProCurve DCM Controller. The following hardware products have a one-year hardware warranty with extensions available: HP ProCurve M111 Client Bridge, HP ProCurve MSM3xx-R Access Points, HP ProCurve MSM7xx Mobility and Access Controllers, HP ProCurve RF Manager IDS/IPS Systems, HP ProCurve MSM Power Supplies, HP ProCurve 1-Port Power Injector, HP ProCurve CNMS Appliances, and HP ProCurve MSM317 Access Device. Standalone software, upgrades, or licenses may have a different warranty duration. For details, refer to the ProCurve Software License, Warranty, and Support booklet at www.procurve.com/warranty.
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Trevor, it's that major updates to premium licences will require subscription:

http://www.procurve.com/customercare/support/software/
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

I stand Corrected and appolgise. I can fully understand your frustration now Marius with regards to the Change with the Premium License arrangment. I was not aware of that change in Febuary, only the warranty changes for the coluburis gear.

Trev.