108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I killed the switch!!!!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Billy Cooter
Occasional Advisor

I killed the switch!!!!

Okay you guys have all been a great help and that is why I turn to you again.

Awhile ago I had a problem and was trying to set up some VLan's on a Procurve 2626 that I have. A few of you pointed out the faults in my decision and I did realize why this did not fit my situation.

However I did want to learn about Vlan's so I continued to play around with this a little...using the web interface. I did something (and I honestly do not remember what) and bam I lost connectivity via the web.

Next time I went to the DC I tried to serial into the router...but no go I couldn't log in.

I know that my serial settngs are correct because I could access another 2626 that I have but on this one I didn't even get the login screen.

So I did a full reboot of the switch...and I still couldn't serial in.

So I pulled the switch and here I am with it on my desk. It powers up fine and pasts the self test but I cannot access the configuration menu via any interface.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Billy
5 REPLIES 5
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Hi Billy,

Try a factory reset:

1. Hold the reset button in.
2. Hold the clear button in.
3. Release reset and wait for self test LED to start flashing
4. Release clear.

Matt
Billy Cooter
Occasional Advisor

Hi Matt,

I tried this.

I mistakenly said in my post that I did a full restart, I meant to say that I did a factory reset - in fact at this point I have done that 3 or 4 times.

That is why it is so odd that I cannot get in.

Regards,
Billy
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

If that's the case, you could try getting into the BootROM... to do that, do the same as the factory reset but on step 3 just hold it in for longer. From there you can boot to secondary flash if required.

For your terminal program, I recommend using TeraTerm Pro - http://www.ayera.com/teraterm/

Try a different console cable just in case (even though it's working with another switch)..

It's also possible that the serial port was already faulty, it's very unlikely that playing around with VLANs would cause this type of problem.

If nothing else seems to help log a call with HP and have the switch replaced.

Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

We've had a few serial failures...we check by factory resetting the switch like you've done, then plugging the switch into the network so it gets a DHCP address. If it gets an address you can then telnet to it. At that point, call HP for replacement :)
Billy Cooter
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the help on this.

I tried to telnet in over TCP/IP at first, but that didn't seem to help so I did the BootRom and I once again have a working switch.

I do agree that Vlan settings probably did not cause the problem (whatever it was) I probaly inadvertnatly did something to really screw it up.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,
Billy