Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752587 Members
3578 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

I succeeded in my first printer networking yet went one step further and failed.

SOLVED
Go to solution
amy hassett
Frequent Advisor

I succeeded in my first printer networking yet went one step further and failed.

I posted a message earlier and received several replies which brought me to success in my hook up to my MAC G4 400mhz to my HP4MV printer AND to hook up my internet connection all with the one ethernet port off the G4. I was instructed to buy a switch and I was able to print and go online and print from online which is what I wanted! Thank you everyone for helping.
Now, the problem, I got alittle crazy ambitious and thought that I could then hook up my husbands PC (not a MAC) computer to my HP printer via the new network switch that I hooked up. I installed drivers and I am able to get to some printer on his computer but nothing prints out, so this is where I don't remember which buttons I pressed on my MAC but I can no longer start my MAC computer. I think I was going to control panels and messing around with all sorts of Multi user things and file sharing thinking that those things would help my husbands computer see my HP printer. Well it didnt I now can't start up my computer I get the follwing message at start up "mac manager cannot automatically find any servers. You need to locate the mac manager server to use." I click okay and the next window says:"select multiple user and users server available server" (there is nothing in that box) then I get "Becasue I didnt select a Mac Manager server I cant use mac manager at this time. If you want to go to the Finder you must enter a mac mgr. adminstrator password on next screen."
I enter my IP{ address or password and nothing happens there are only two choices to type in password or shutdown,I tried hundreds of names and passwords and then I give up and press shutdown. I started up with ext mgr off thinking I would be able to gain access that way, and I clicked off multi use ext. and thought I was on my way but it then told me I dont have access to those privileges, I just want to start up my computer!!! AHHHH! Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!AMY
3 REPLIES 3
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: I succeeded in my first printer networking yet went one step further and failed.

Hi,

Ok what you need first is to fix your MAC issue. Your Mac manager supposes that you've set up a server. Check if you entered any password in your Husband PC.
Check also 'no password' meaning just pressing return when asked password, if you think you didn't set any.
If you don' get aything from that, I suggest you post this question on a Mac forum, where good users may help you to reset to factory defaults. For example :
http://www.computing.net/mac/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

Then come back here, we'll help you share your printer and install it from your PC. Please confirm that you are using swich, and not hub...

Good luck.

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
amy hassett
Frequent Advisor

Re: I succeeded in my first printer networking yet went one step further and failed.

thank you I have posted a message on that board and await their reply! I will post agin here to let you know my progress and to finish up the deal! THANKS< AMY
amy hassett
Frequent Advisor

SUCCESS! Thank you so much for those sites they helped me get my mac up and running again, I needed to move two things to the desktop, multi user preferences and multi user startup extension. I bought a switch not a hub I hope that is okay and I am now able to print from my mac and go online from my mac and I can go online with the PC but I still need to get to print from the PC to the HP4MV I have hooked up to the mac G4 running OS 9.2.1 (via ethernet switch) Thanks everyone who helped, I am hoping I get this this thing figured out.