New Discussion юеВ

Re: IDM and 2600's

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tony Flannery
Advisor

IDM and 2600's

Hi,

I have a 5300xl core switch with 2650 switches at the edge for user connections. Does this limit me in what features of Identity Driven Manager I can use ? Do I need 5300's at the edge to make full use of IDM ? I was hoping to connect Wireless Acess Points to the 2600's and use IDM to limit access for wireless connections. Is this possible ?

Thanks,

Tony.
2 REPLIES 2
Shane_33
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Tony,

The 2600's only have certain functionality when used with IDM in comparison to the 5300's.

What they can do with IDM (from memory):
- Assign VLAN
- Assign QoS/Prioritization

Now for a wireless environment, you can use IDM via the switch but you will lose the capability to encrypt the wireless via WEP or WPA. It also works per port, so I believe all users authorised on that port by IDM will go into the same VLAN (not sure on this).

You might want to look at the ProCurve 420wl access point - it can do VLAN assignment itself via IDM already I believe, then you won't need to worry about doing it in the switch.

Otherwise check with your ProCurve representative in your country to see what they have coming for the 420wl or other wireless gear - they may have other options.

Regards,
Shane.
Tony Flannery
Advisor

Thanks for that Shane.

Tony.