1747980 Members
4024 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: IP routing 4108gl

Dan DeCoursey
Regular Advisor

IP routing 4108gl

If ip rounting is enabled....this is a L2 device right ? so how/what gets routed ?
routing between defined vlans on this particular box so packets dont have to get on a trunk cable to your L3 device mounted n some other rack ??
Hers a pinch to grow an inch
5 REPLIES 5
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

From the "advanced traffic management guide" :
The switches covered in this guide offer IP static routing, supporting up to 16 static routes.
IP static routing is configurable through the switchâ s console CLI.
This chapter refers the switch as a â routing switchâ . When IP routing is enabled on your switch, it behaves just like any other IP router.
Basic IP routing configuration consists of adding IP addresses and enabling IP routing.

so this switch is a L2-device with (limited) L3 capabilities.
like only static routing and ACL's only port-based (not vlan based).

So if you need advanced routing functions you need another routing device.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

If ip rounting is enabled....this is a L2 device right ?

L2 device unable ip routing

but 4108 switch not a L2 device 4108 switch able basic static routing... yes you can enable ip routing on 4108 switch.

4108 device routing option for routing between vlan's and all vlan's routing other routing device

seem only static routing cabability router
cenk

Dan DeCoursey
Regular Advisor

I aslways appreciate anyones feedback...

but (its probably Me)

I cant seem to "glean out" an answer to my question from the feedback supplied.....

If IP routing is enabled.....does that permit this switch to route packets between the vlans that are defined on this switch? Thus saving the switch from forwarding packets from VLAN 1 up to my CISCO3560 who then would rouet them back down the VLAN2 on that very same switch?

Up to now I have not had this feature enabled..... if this feature is a real benefit and enabled in most standard configurations I want to employ it...but if this feature only has minimal benefits and causes any potential bad effects to a legacy network that has about 15 procurve switches that up to now have not had IP routing enablesd on any of them...I dont want to hose things up due to not having a better understanding of the IP routing feature
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

The asnwer is contained in the previous posts, but here in more detail.

If you have an external router configured to route between vlan's. and the host has this router's adress configured as default gateway, the switch passes the packets on L2 to the router and does not route itself.

The switch CAN route but only will do so when :
-the switch has an ip-adress in two (or more) vlans each a separate subnet.
- routing is enabled.
- a host has the switch's vlan-adress configured as default gateway.
- the destination is on one of the known subnets of the switch ( or the default route 0.0.0.0)
- the destination knows the route back.

only the command "ip routing" is not enough.
Dan DeCoursey
Regular Advisor

I apologize for not being as intellectually elevated on these matters and needing to be "spoken down to"
1st.. I use the menu so I do not of "commands"
the vlans I am speaking of are resident on this very switch
I thought the answer would be kind of like:

"Yes ,if enabled, this switch will route packets between the various VLANS defined on the 4108g switch ( not other vlans in my network domain)this is a good feature and pretty standard when your configuration has multiple vlans defined on the switch"

so that example of an answer is really bogus?