1748259 Members
3847 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

IPC$ network password required

Elva
Occasional Contributor

IPC$ network password required

I have two computers, one with xp pro and one with win98se. The xp machine can see the 98se machine with no trouble thanks to adding NetBEUI to it, but the 98se machine seems to want a password before it can access my computer. Neither of these computers has a password, I dont need any, and I didn't assign any. I read a post elsewhere about this same problem on this forum and the person did solve their problem. I followed their instructions but it did not work for me. The computers have their own IP address from my ISP, they are connected via a hub. The network was fine until I put xp on here, I wish I'd never done it. All I really need to do is share the printer, which is attached to the xp machine. I cant attach it to the 98se machine as it has a usb connector and that computer doesnt have usb ports. Any advice or thoughts are most welcome.
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Lance Brown
Esteemed Contributor

Re: IPC$ network password required

Don???t need any passwords on them and you have them connected to the Internet? Maybe you should think about a firewall and use NAT, otherwise your systems are being asked to be attacked and hacked.

You could try going in the printer properties and then security and add everyone and maybe even unauthenticated users to the access list. From the 98 machine, when you browse the network, can it see the printer?

Lance
Dewitte

On the 98 check the primary client setting, it should be Client for Microsoft Networks, not Windows Logon.
From then on it will ask a password when starting up. You can use any name , if you share something on your 98 , do fill in a password . You should indeed install a personal firewall.

On the windows xp go into the Users tool and a user with the same name as you use on the 98 and with the same password. You should be able to go into the xp now.

mvr
Regular Advisor

I had a same problem... My solution was creating the same user name with the same password on the local machines. No problems again...
(of corse computers have to be a memeber of same work group).

Miro
Artyom Voronchihin
Respected Contributor

Hello !

Enable Guest Account on Win XP machine (it disabled by default). That will allow to connect to this machine without creating an additional users on XP side. Don't forget to set a password for shares, because if share doesn't have it, anyone now can access the share.
"Intel inside" is not a label, it's a warning.