108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IPv6 and Procurve 9304M

SOLVED
Go to solution
nuno_10

IPv6 and Procurve 9304M

Hello,

Somebody knows if HP is planning IPv6 implementation in Procurve 9304M?
If yes, what are the dates?

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards.
Nuno.
10 REPLIES 10
Jeff Brownell
Valued Contributor

ipv6 is already implemented in 9300 series. please read documentation on http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/manuals/93xx_6308.htm
Guillermo Azc├бrraga
Occasional Advisor

Hello Jeff,
Could you please specify where in these manuals is IPv6 support explained.
I search for IPv6 on
- Release Notes for Version 07.8.00a
And foun nothing.
I thought that the support was indeed planned but no yet supported.

Jeff Brownell
Valued Contributor

Installation and Basic Configuration Guide for the HP ProCurve Routing Switches 9304m, 9308m, and 9315m (Software Release 07.6.04 or Greater; September, 2003)
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59906028-e1.pdf

Chapter 11 (configuring vlans) has quite a bit about setting up ipv6 vlans...
nuno_10

Right, but it is not what I wanted to say when I spoke in implementation of IPv6...
I wanted to say possibility to assign an IPv6 address to interfaces (fisical ou virtual) and IPv6 routing.
I have a network structure with some port VLANs. IP address of gateway for each vlan is assigned to virtual ethernets (ve) and with router-interface in each vlan.
I want the same for IPv6. Assign an ipv6 address to gateway for each vlan and the corresponding routing between them.
Is this possible?
Nuno.
Jeff Brownell
Valued Contributor
Solution

I think you are wanting to be able to route between ipv6 vlans.. Is this correct? If so, then you are correct that this functionality is not available in the 9300's yet. I am not sure when (if) it will be available. I have asked around and am waiting for further feedback to see if anyone here knows when/if ipv6 routing will be added. I'll post again if I find something out.
nuno_10

Is this correct. I wait for news.
Thanks.
Jeff Brownell
Valued Contributor

This is the answer to your question... The 9300s do not support IPv6 yet. There are plans to add IPv6 support, including IPv6 routing - but those plans do not have a date attached to them.
Jeff Brownell
Valued Contributor

Just to clarify, IPv6 is actually available in the 9300Ms on 07.6.04c and later with regards to creating a protocol based VLAN (with either static or dynamic ports). At present the switch will not route IPv6, but switching is no problem.

Regards,
Jeff
nuno_10

Right... this ipv6 support is little more than nothing... :(
If HP don't have date for the ipv6 routing support i have to conclude that I made the wrong choice, when I chose hp instead of Cisco... :(
Thanks by your answers.
Nuno.