Did you mean: 

Increase bandwidth

SOLVED
Go to solution
pepe_22
Occasional Visitor

Increase bandwidth

Hi,

I would like increase the total bandwidth on my DL380 Server that cames with 2 HP Gbit NIC.
The first setup that we made is set NIC Utility network included in the server to Switch assited Load Balancing creating a teaming between the two adapters.
We have the two adapters attached to 5308XL Procurve switch. We try to send around 2GB of data from a system on the same network to test the time transmission.
After that, we made a port trunking configuration on the switch size, setting up the ports on the server to Trunk-FEC mode.
We repeat the same test sendind the same quantity of data and we have the same result, in both cases the time transmission is the same. I think that we have same bandwidth in both cases (around 1Gb/sec, instead 2Gb/sec)
If we see the port usage with the switch management software in the switch side, only one of the two ports of the trunk has receive activity.
Is this the best way to get the best performance bandwidth?
Something wrong on this configuration?

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: Increase bandwidth

I think you misunderstand how trunking works. It does not aggregate the bandwidth on one session but rather load balances across multiple sessions. Think of it as adding another lane to the highway. The car goes the same speed except now twice as many cars can use the highway. You cannot sit in two cars and even if you did, the cars still go the same speed.
Kell van Daal
Respected Contributor

Les's explanation is correct.
If you want to test this, you will need to do two concurrent data transfers. One w/o trunking and one with trunking. That way you will notice difference.
pepe_22
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the clear explanation.

Then, if we install another Dual NIC Gbit adapter in the other system and setup another trunk for this system, can we see increased the bandwidth between both systems?

Regards,
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

No. If you have only 2 systems talking to each other, they are unlikely to aggregate the bandwidth since a single session uses a single NIC.

Sorry, do I still get points if I give you bad news?