1751975 Members
4964 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Inquiry on trunking

SOLVED
Go to solution

Inquiry on trunking

Hi I am planning to implement trunking on some of our procurve switches. I just want to ask if it will work on different cables like trunking a 1GB fiber and 100mbs CAT5 connection?
7 REPLIES 7
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Yes, that's fine. Just don't mix and match. In a trunk group, make sure both ends support the same speed and media type.

Thanks Matt for your reply. Can you explain further on what you mean by don't mix and much? I will be creating a trunk group for example trk1 using interface 1 and 2. Interface 1 has a fiber connection or cable while interface 2 uses cat5 cable. Both ends are procurve switches.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

No, you shouldn't do that (I hope the switch would give you an error if you tried to do that).

From the manual:

Port Connections and Configuration: All port trunk links must be point-to-point connections between a switch and another switch, router, server, or workstation configured for port trunking. No intervening, non-trunking devices are allowed. It is important to note that ports on both ends of a port trunk group must have the same mode (speed and duplex) and flow control settings.

In this instance, you should probably use spanning-tree instead to block the slower link but also give you failover redundancy.

So I just have to make both interface 1 and 2 use 1 GB fiber connection. Thanks MATT!
Colin Butcher
Esteemed Contributor

The key thing is speed & duplex. Imagine two switches connected by a single trunk with two ports in the trunk group.

Each port to port link between the switches must be the same speed & duplex as all other members of that trunk group.

So, 1x copper 1Gbps FDX and 1x fibre 1Gbps FDX would be OK in a trunk, as would 2x fibre 1Gbps FDX or 2x copper 1Gbps FDX.

However, 1x fibre 1Gbps FDX (or 1x copper 1Gbps FX) will not mix with a different speed link (eg: 100Mbps FDX) in the same trunk group.

I generally set up all inter-switch links as trunk groups containing 2 adjacent ports, even if they only contain a single active port. Makes it easier to see how the switch is configured and lets you add bandwidth on-the-fly by just inserting the necessary cable or fibre. I also tend to use the dual media capable ports for inter-switch links, typically ports 21-24 (or 23-24) on a 24 port switch.

Cheers, Colin (http://www.xdelta.co.uk).
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Occam's razor).
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Hey, Brillantes: you still got the problem buggin'ya?

Thanks Dan. My problem with trunking is already solved. Thanks once again.