Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Driver on XP

qim_1
Advisor

Installing Driver on XP

I have been trying (for months) to install
6122_enu_win2k_xp.exe on my XP Home Edition.

Although I managed something which XP does not like I am unable to run the wizard as after unzipping the files (I hope all of them) a box comes up with a button that has nothing on it and the whole boz is virtyally empty: all it has is the icon of a little computer and the numbers 1158 next to it.

I hope someone has had the same problem and can tell me what to do.

Thank you very much

qim
2 REPLIES
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Driver on XP

There is a Windows Installer error 1158:

1158 Error populating strings. Verify that all strings in Setup.ini and any language-specific INI files in the Disk1 folder (such as 0x0409.ini) are valid.

Either you have a bad download or HP blew it or perhaps you are using the wrong one. There are no other complaints popping up in google so it may be a function of your language. I see you give your country name in French so it might be because your computer is set to use French and you are trying to install the English drivers. If that is the case you need to get the
6122_fra_win2k_xp.exe instead.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?lc=en〈=en&cc=us&os=228&dlc=en&product=83027&sw_lang=17&softwareitem=dj-8372-2

Ron

qim_1
Advisor

Re: Installing Driver on XP

Thank you Ron

In fact it is Portugal and not France.

The laptop I'm using is a hybrid version... seems to have come from the farEast adpated fpr Europe in Holland, turnned up in Spain and now I have XP in Portuguese with Help in Spanish and few bits and pieces in English!

So it could be that the driver does not like the Portuguese language. What is the answer then?

Thank you very much