4792 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Inter Vlan Routing in 2626 Switches

ROhan_11
Occasional Contributor

Inter Vlan Routing in 2626 Switches

Hello Friends

I have configured 6 vlans on a Hp Procurve 2626 switch. Each of the vlans belong t a different subnet, and have 3 ports each on the switch.
One unmanaged switch connects to every vlan in the switch. I have configured"ip routing " on the procurve switch.

When I try to ping from one host computer ( which is connected to the unmanaged switch) in one vlan to another host in another vlan, the switch doesnt allow me to do so.

But if I try pingin the Vlan IP of the subnet which is configured on the switch then i get reply.

Similarly if i connect the host directly to the switch then it allows me t ping..

Plese help me out

Regards
rohan
5 REPLIES 5
Manfred Arndt
Valued Contributor

Re: Inter Vlan Routing in 2626 Switches

Hi Rohan,

Make sure that every host computer has their default gateway pointing to the VLAN IP of the 2626 switch.

Please clarify the comment "Similarly if i connect the host directly to the switch then it allows me t ping..". Are you saying when you remove the "unmanaged switch" that you can ping from on host computer in one vlan to another host in another vlan?
ROhan_11
Occasional Contributor

Hi Manfred

Thanks for the reply.. What i meant by "when you connect the host directly..." was that if i connect a computer directly to the layer 3 switch(i take it off the L2 unmanaged switch & plug it directly into the L3 switch) then the machine replies to the ping queries of other machines from different VLANs.

One clarification that i wish to seek here is when you say point the default gateway on the host computers to the VLAN IP of the switch..do you mean the VLAN 1 ip or the corresponding IP of that particular VLAN on the switch..

Regards

Rohan
wong seng guan
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rohan,

since you said you can ping other VLAN host by direct plug into L3 switch but you can't ping other host together with L2 switch. The problems could be in L2 switch, because even your L2 switch didnt set to VLAN but by default all the ports are in VLAN 1. So if you really want to get the ping replies? try plug into the switch that belongs to VLAN1

Thank

Jason Wong
Manfred Arndt
Valued Contributor

Hi Rohan,

The default gateway on the host computers need to point to the corresponding VLAN IP of that particular VLAN on the switch.

Also, make sure you are using untagged VLANs on the 2626 ports to the L2 unmanaged switches, since they are not VLAN aware. I take it that you are using a separate L2 unmanaged switch for each of the 6 VLANs?

Regards

OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Could be the uplink UTP cable between the unmanaged switches and the 2626. If the 2626 or the L2 switch do not support Auto-MDIX for their RJ-45 ports, then the uplink UTP cable should be crossover.