New Discussion юеВ

Re: Interconnecting 5308XL and 2810-24

SOLVED
Go to solution
dynamox
Occasional Contributor

Interconnecting 5308XL and 2810-24

Hello guys,

We have a 5308XL that is out of 1G ports so we bought a 2810-24 and now trying to figure out how to connect the two together. We are not using any VLANs on 5308XL (must mean DEFAULT_VLAN in use). What do i need to do to interconnect these two switches in a redundant manner ( trunks ? ). I've got 2810 documentation downloaded and ready to dig in but need some direction on the things i need to consider.

Thanks a lot
5 REPLIES 5
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Take a look at Meterior's post on LACP, it has the basic config/commands you need.

Also, get this CLI ref guide, it shows how to configure HP ProVision, HP Comware5 and Cisco switches for lots of different functions, in a side-by-side comparison, so if you know one CLI, you see how to do it in a different CLI:
http://h10144.www1.hp.com/docs/training/HP-Networking-and-Cisco-CLI-Reference-Guide_June_10_WW_Eng_ltr.pdf

There is a chapter on LACP/trunking.

Key in LACP/trunking, links "should be" same speeds and media.

It can be configured otherwise (meaning you can do it the config), but not a good practice to do so.

Max number of ports in a trunk = 8 on those switches.

hth...Jeff
dynamox
Occasional Contributor

Do i need to enable any new functionality on 5308 like spanning tree or anything like that ?

Thank you for your help
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor
Solution

dynamo|x asked: "Do i need to enable any new functionality on 5308 like spanning tree or anything like that ?"

If you want spanning tree operational on the 5308, then yes, you will need to enable spanning tree as it is disabled by default on most E-Series ProVision (formerly known as ProCurve) switches.

5308(config)# span

Configuring trunks is the same on both.

Order of config:
1) enable span
2) configure trunk groups
3) connect cables

In the realm of configuring trunking/LACP, ALWAYS configure first, then connect cables. Otherwise if spanning tree is not enabled and you connect cables first, you will create a broadcast storm and the switches will lockup in appx 3-5 sec, even the console port basically goes inop.

hth...Jeff
dynamox
Occasional Contributor

Jeff,

i don't need to enable span on the 2810, just on the 5308 ?

thank you
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

dynamo|x asked: "i don't need to enable span on the 2810, just on the 5308 ?"

Having spanning tree on (always) is not a bad thing imho...if you ever have an issue where 2 ports on a switch get connected together w/o spanning tree on - it is not good.

So, turn it on, it is "safer" that way.

hth...Jeff