New Discussion юеВ

Interface down 9300...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Interface down 9300...

Hi Guys,

I'm looking into a problem with two of our 9308 switches.

Basically, i have a trunk link between two switches that uses 2x Mini GBIC interfaces at each end with the primary interface being configured as a Route-only port in the OSPF area.

The switch reports that the second interface on the connection is down, with the port state as BLOCKING.

I get a link light at either end of the connection but cannot seem to get the ports to come up. The link is working as both primary inetrfaces are up and working.

I have tried disabling STP on these links to see if they come up, but the config is exactly the same as all of the other trunk links i have here. I have tried swapping the GBICS and this hasn't helped.

I have attached some info, Show runs and interface info etc. Any idea's would be much appreciated, i always assign points!!!

Cheers Guys,

jonathan
Where there is a will there is a way...
12 REPLIES 12
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Re: Interface down 9300...

Hi Jonathan

I don't think its an STP issue even it shows clearly the port is in blocking state, because you disabled STP for Vlan1.
And also, if STP will block, then , it would be the trunk will be blocked not a port of it, since this port is logically part of the trunk.

And i don't think it an LACP issue, even it sounds like that :)

The output of the following commands will be helpful:

show trunk ethernet 2/3 to 2/4

show span

If you can attach the output of the previous.

Good Luck !!!

Science for Everyone
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Hi, thanks for the prompt response!

I have attached the requested info for you.

I am a bit rusty with Spanning tree still, so not sure if it is configured correctly on the switch.

Have a look and see what you think,
Many thanks

Jonboy
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

What you have is Single Spanning-tree SSTP, which runs a single spanning tree across all ports and VLANs on the 9300.

SSTP is useful when connecting the 9300 to third-party devices that run a single spanning tree in accordance with the 802.1q.

When you enable SSTP then 9300 places all
the ports in a non-configurable VLAN 4094, and that what you see in the output of Show span.

And, I found that there is an issue with stopping L2 Bridging on an OSPF interface with route-only command, and the spanning-tree, apparently STP is blocking the other interface which still in L2 bridging.

Try to disable the route-only command, but i'm afraid that needs a reboot for the 9300.
And also, if you can update the firware for the 9300, 08.0.01c is there.

Similar case
http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/foundry-nsp/2004-April/000106.html

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I had a plan to do the following:

-Upgrade software to latest version
-Delete and recreate trunk and route-only interfaces.

I was also looking at MSTP? The only problem is, amongst our 5300,2800 and 2600 switches we have some 4100 and 2500 series which i don't think support it, Is there any advantages to using this over the Single STP?

I think i need to do some study into the details of STP, i have grasped the main concepts but think i need to concentrate on the details.

Many thanks for you help, need to schedule in a reboot of the 9300 now....
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hey Jonathan

Its a very good solution to have MSTP, the only issue in this case is the 4100s and 2500s.

Anyway we can work together if you want to have a fully redundant setup in your network.

in this case, share with us you network topology in general, and Vlans info, and if you want to have VRRP also on the core we can work on that also :)

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Hello again,

Would appreciate some advice and guidance. I think i am pretty much on top of it, but it always helps to have someone elses opinion and help!

I would it be possible for me to e-mail you some configs/diagrams etc?

Cheers
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi Jonathan

You are welcome anytime, but i prefer to keep it i nthe forum here so other people can get benifit of this.
And you can remove any senstitive info. from the configuration like company name or ip addresses.

lets help each other to get a proper design and config.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi Jonathan

You are welcome anytime, but i prefer to keep it in the forum here so other people can get benifit of this.
And you can remove any senstitive info. from the configuration like company name or ip addresses.

lets help each other to get a proper design and config.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Right, i have scheduled the 9308 update and reboot for early friday morning.

As for the rest of the info, i will start putting together some details about the network setup....