4441 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Internet sharing to vlans

Eskinder Mesfin
Occasional Advisor

Internet sharing to vlans

dear all
i have 3 vlans including the default vlan on hp procurve 5304xl and ip routing is enabled and i can ping every hos in every vlan and what my problem is that i want to share internet to all my vlan and i connect the router to the default vlan and create a static route 0.0.0.0/0 192.168.2.1 where 192.168.2.1 is the ip address of my ADSL router.

so how can i share internet to all my vlans
5 REPLIES 5
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

hi
you must have write static route command to vlan's on internet router
cenk

Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

please tell you ADSL router how it can reach the different vlans. You need to create a static routing entry for each vlan subnet on the adsl router, with the ip address of the procurve switch as gateway.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

Get a new ISP if they wont add the routes for you.
Lance Noel
Occasional Advisor

The best way I can think of is to untagged the port your ADSL router plugs into on you switch as the VLAN that 192.168.2.x resides. Tag that same port with the other Vlan's, including the default. In order to properly route between VLAN's in the switch, each VLAN must have an IP address asigned to it.

With IP routing enabled and your default static route (0.0.0.0/0 192.168.2.1), set the devices on the other vlans with the gateway it's repective VLAN's IP address from the switch. If the other VLAN's (not 192.168.2.x) have their own routers to be the gateway, then in that router, you need to put a route statement directing your default route back to the switch which is routing your internet traffic.
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

There are now 3 different posts saying exactly the same thing with exactly the same answer.

-Your ISP router has to know about your internal networks by way of static routes as its default route will be upstream to the ISP's next hop. SIMPLE!

is your ISP router doing your NAT and Firewalling?

Trev.