108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Is STP needed on a star topology?

SOLVED
Go to solution
AtticaNet
Advisor

Is STP needed on a star topology?

I have a project where the network is a start topology. Is it worthy to enalbe the STP on my switches if I am using a star topology or it can actually become a drawback?

Most of the communication flows from the ProCurve Switches (B, C, D and E) to nodes connected to Switch A. I want to avoid having blocked ports on Switch A due to STP.

3 REPLIES 3
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Of course you should enable STP. It wont block any ports in your intended topology, but it will save your network if someone accidentally connects a cable from switch b to switch c, or loops a cable in switch X, etc.
---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

AtticaNet
Advisor

Thanks for the quick answer, but can you elaborate a little further on the STP mechanism on the ProCurve 2810 nd the H3C? I have a considerable amount of traffic on the H3C switch and it is my understanding that STP will block ports when it detects an "overflow".
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor
Solution

STP doesnt care about the amount of traffic, it will block redundant links. As you dont have any redundant links in your diagram, essentially STP wont block anything. But it is highly recommended to still have it enabled in case of someone connects a loop, either on one separate switch, or between switches.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S