108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Issued IP routing command - lost connectivity to switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Issued IP routing command - lost connectivity to switch

I issued this command before enabling another VLAN -- now it seems I've lost communication with the device. It appears to be functioning normally, and the stackmembers say it is up -- however, I am unable to ping or manage it.

Is there a way I can undo this command (done via menu...so it saved...) remotely?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Kevin Richter_1
Valued Contributor
Solution

If this is on a ProCurve switch, my guess is that the IP routing command was issued but there are no routes in place (for instance an all zeros route to your next hop router) and this explains your loss of remote connectivity. In general, remote access is gone and the best suggestion is to console into the device locally (using a directly attached serial cable) to either add the static routes or undo the routing command.

There is one other workaround I've used frequently. If the lack of static routes to your remote location is the only issue, then the switch is still accessible from within its local or "layer 2" subnet (it just can't "route" at layer 3 to a different IP subnet where your PC resides). If you can telnet from your remote PC to a ~different~ device in the same IP subnet as the "lost" switch, you can then telnet from the first host into the "lost" switch.

For example:
PC (192.168.50.50)
|
ProCurve 2524 (10.20.30.25)
|
ProCurve 5304 (10.20.30.53)

First telnet from your PC (across one router or across the world) to the ProCurve 2524 switch. The 2524 resides in the same L2 subnet as the 5304 (where routing was prematurely enabled). Launching a telnet session from the CLI of the 2524 to the IP address of the 5304 ("telnet 10.20.30.53") would provide remote access to the 5304 where IP routing could be disabled or static routes added to restore direct connectivity to the remote location or subnet.
Check the cabling. Next, check the cabling again.
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the tip on the telnetting to another device -- saved a trip out there! Greatly appreciated.