Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753781 Members
7359 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

J4859A Discontinued? (Gigabit-LX-LC mini-GBIC)

Dale_Mahalko
Occasional Contributor

J4859A Discontinued? (Gigabit-LX-LC mini-GBIC)

We have a few HP ProCurve 2824 gigabit switches. They work fine, no problems. I know they've been around for a while.

It'd be nice to add some redundant / trunked / 2+ gigabit fiber links, so I'm looking around for the J4859A mini-GBIC.

But oddly I can't seem to find it from any of the big retailers like CDW anymore. And I can't find anything that says it was discontinued either. Weird.

Google Shopping does say the genuine HP part can still be found for about $90 from various smaller retailers, which a considerable savings from the $600 or so I paid for them back when we first bought the switch.

(I see plenty of "compatible" but I would prefer to get something that HP's lifetime warranty covers.)

1 REPLY 1
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: J4859A Discontinued? (Gigabit-LX-LC mini-GBIC)

The final letter is effectively the revision number: the current model is the J4859C.

According to this table: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02605446/c02605446.pdf you need firmware I.08.103 or later for a J4859C.

Most of the newer Procurve models won't take a J4859A, so I'm not surprised that resellers are trying to offload stock.