Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753500 Members
4264 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: J4908a GBIC Port and Trunk

Integer

J4908a GBIC Port and Trunk

I am trying to configure an LACP trunk between an 4108gl with a J4908a module and an ProCurve 2810 using the GBIC ports on both. When I try to show status on the GBIC ports (21 & 22) on the J4908a, I get "invalid input". For example, one of my J4908a modules is in slot H on the 4108gl. If I issue this command:

sho int h21

I get back:

Invalid Input: h21

Why can't I show status?

And because the switch is not seeing h21 as a valid port, I cannot configure trunking on it.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Steve
4 REPLIES 4
RicN
Valued Contributor

Have you already given the trunking commands when you get the "invalid input"? I do not know on the 4108, but on other switches some direct commands for the interfaces are lost after the trunk is up, and you can only access them through the trunk name, e.g. trk1.

If you get the error even before doing anything, what do you see when running "show interface" or similar. Do you see all other interfaces as expected?
Integer

No, this is before even doing any of the trunking commands. If I do a show trunk there is only one trunk shown, and these interfaces are not in them.

If I do a sho int the interfaces show in the list, along with all other interfaces.

I'm looking at it possibly being a problem with the GBIC not being compatible. I started looking thru the log and see where the GBIC was inserted but not initialized. The link light flashes when the GBIC is installed in a set rhythm, if that makes sense.

Steve
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

it does sound as if the mini-gbic is not being recognized or compatible with the blade....

all 3 of the procurve mini-gbic versions (rev a or rev b or rev c) show to be compatible to that module...

is the mini-gbic procurve branded?

hmmmm...

hth...jeff
Integer

Turns out that rev C of the mini GBIC (J4858C) is only compatible with G.07.103 or higher and that's not what I have loaded. So, it looks like I'll be flashing some firmware this weekend.

Thanks guys.

Steve