New Discussion юеВ

J9001A wireless module problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tony Flannery
Advisor

J9001A wireless module problem

Hi,

I've just installed a J9001A wireless module in my 5308xl Procurve switch, I can access the configuration via the procurve command line, but cannot get the module to respond to ping. The module requires its own address, but I'm not sure if this should be an entirely new subnet address, and what should the default gateway be ? I currently have configured several vlans on the 5308 using the 10.x.x.x address range, eg. 10.11.0.0, 10.12.0.0 etc. Can anyone explain where the J9001a fits into this scenario ?

Thanks,

Tony.
2 REPLIES 2
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: J9001A wireless module problem

Hi

By default, the wireless edge services module obtains an IP address from a DHCP server, and you can check the ip from CLI:

switch(config)# wireless-services c
switch(wireless-services-C)#show ip interface

and if you want to assign a static IP:

switch(wireless-services-C)(config)#interface vlan 1
switch(wireless-services-C)(config-if)#ip address a.b.c.d/xy

and for the Default gateway:
ProCurve(wireless-services-C)(config)# ip default-gateway a.b.c.d

Now for IP addressing, and since you have many subnets (Vlans), you can select the proper Vlan that must the wireless module works with,
Say you have 3 Vlans (subnest), and you've dedicated one of them for the Wireless so you configure the Wireless module within this Vlan interface and in its IP address range.

Anyway, after you assign an IP, then use the Web interface to login to the wireless module, you can see on the main screen the Management IP which is the IP for the 5300 switch.

In the menu bar on the left, select WLAN setup, and you will see the assigned Vlan for the Radio Ports.

You may have a different scenario like, using a dynamic Vlans along with the authentication,
and in this case you can assign an IP for the wireless module in the same subnet of the default-Vlan for management.

enough info. you can find here:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/5300xl-Wireless-Srvs-MgmtCfg-Aug2006-50135912.pdf

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Tony Flannery
Advisor

Re: J9001A wireless module problem

Thanks Mohieddin,

That points me in the right direction.

Tony