Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1745782 Members
3625 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

JG539A: Restore to Factory Default Configuration .....

grenzo
Frequent Advisor

JG539A: Restore to Factory Default Configuration .....

Hi,

should i factory reset an JG539A. In cli I try the Restore to Factory Default Configuration menu item but this appears:

Password recovery capability is enabled. To perform this operation, first
disable the password recovery capability using the undo password-recovery
enable command in CLI.

what should i do? 

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Re: JG539A: Restore to Factory Default Configuration .....

Hi @grenzo !

Can you login to the Comware CLI or to the Web GUI? Do you know the password for 'admin' user?

The logic behind bootrom options 5 (Restore to factory default configuration) and 7 (Skip current system configuration) is the following:

- If you know login credentials to the switch, then use Web GUI to reset the switch to factory defaults Device > Configuration > Restore Factory-Default Settings. Also you can use Comware limited CLI's 'initialize' command.
- If you forgot your password and password recovery is enabled, then use Bootrom's option 7 to boot with empty config, so 'admin' user has no password set (empty) and you can enter the GUI or CLI and proceed with factrory reset.
- if password recovery is disabled, Bootrom option 7 is not available, so the only way to reset the switch is to use option 5, therefore option 5 is available only if password recovery is disabled. 

Summarizing: If password recovery is enabled, Bootrom's option 7 is available, option 5 is not available. If password recovery is disabled, then option 7 is not available, option 5 is available.

It's not very straightforward logic, but in older switches it was working this way.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

akg7
HPE Pro

Hello @grenzo ,

Have you tried to disable the password-recovery then reset the switch?

[H3C]undo password-recovery enable
The command will disable the password recovery function. Continue? [Y/N]:y
[H3C]

Or you can try to reset via  GUI?

Device-->Configuration-->Click Intialize tab and Click Restore Factory-Default Settings

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

I Haq
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Hi @Ihaqueit !

1. 1910 is not ProVision-based switch, so it doesn't have 'startup-config'uration. It has 'saved-configuration'
2. There is no 'erase' command in Comware. Instead, you execute 'reset saved-configuration'
3. 1910 doesn't have full Comware shell, it's got restricted shell where that command is not available

Instead of posting false informaiton I advise you to educate yourself, gain some knowledge and only then share your wisdom with other people.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Thanks to the information Ivan.

Before i do not use this model, I only ask to user which command he execute for reset only.

But I dont know what you want here posting depends on experience not reading and post, if my post have any problem then privately message me or you tell me next time i ask to you first then you see my post then i will submit

I Haq
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

With all my respect, I am not the moderator here, therefore I can't preview your posts even if I wanted. You are free to post whatever you want if it's in accordance with the rules. Your posts, as far as I can see, are compliant to the rules, so no worries from this point of view. I just don't see any value in giving advices about products and technologies you don't know. 

The message you have deleted, the message I commented:

@Ihaqueit wrote:

Normally I try to so many switches its also password protected, but when once i logon direct type the command

erase startup-config and its reset

looks like advice, it could mislead @grenzo that's why I decided to correct you.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Thanks

I Haq
grenzo
Frequent Advisor

I connect via the console port

Entry 7 is not: Skip current system configuration but: Bootware Operation Menu

if I enter it appears

|Note:the operating device is flash |
|<1> Backup Full BootWare |
|<2> Restore Full BootWare |
|<3> Update BootWare By Serial |
|<4> Update BootWare By Ethernet |
|<0> Exit To Main Menu

what should I do ?

Thanks

Ivan_B
HPE Pro

If your menu looks like this:

bootrom.png

then you need option '6' - Skip Current System Configuration

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo