108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: L3 ports on procurve switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
David B. P.
Advisor

L3 ports on procurve switches

Is there any way to configure a port to operate only at L3? I want to configure a pair of 3500 with VRRP to route traffic and I would like to know if I can configure a port to work only at L3 (in cisco is called routed ports). If I can not do it with a 3500, any other model supports this feature?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
bergonz
Advisor

On the 8200 you cannot do that. You CAN do that on the 93xx, but the 93xx are old machines and you don't want to buy them.

What you can do is configure the port with a VLAN that you use only for that port, and disable spannig tree on that port.

The effect is almost the same as a routed port: the switch will learn MAC addresses on that port, and if you don't have an incredibly high number of MAC addresses you will be fine. That's the way we do it here.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

hi
another way vlan interface associate one port

example :
(config)#vlan 200
(vlan-200)#untag 1

interface 1 now in L3 vlan interface
cenk

David B. P.
Advisor

That's not a L3 port. With this configuration any frame entering into that port will be forwarded to other ports in the same vlan. In cisco, a 'routed port' does not forward frames to other ports on the same vlan, it operates exactly as a interface in a router, only packets allowed to be routed are forwarded.

Thanks.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor
Solution

ok Davit I understand
cisco switch on write no switch port command
after this port routed port and assign this port ip address
SW1(config)#interface fast 0/5
SW1(config-if)#no switchport
similar config only 9300 switch

because two 3500 switch whit vrrp config to routing redundancy you create vlan ip address
cenk

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

David B. P.
Advisor

Thanks, that is what I found some time ago. It's sad that this option is not available on newer switches.

After some research I decided to not work on this anymore. I wanted to connect two lanlinks to an external customer and provide high availability with VRRP but avoiding STP and L2 problems. After not finding the equivalent to "routed ports" on HP, I asked to my company to buy two routers to connect these lanlinks.