5654 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LACP, Trunks, Teams and Bonding

SOLVED
Go to solution
Todd Saettele

LACP, Trunks, Teams and Bonding

I have what I thought would be a simple requirement on my 2510g48s (Y.11.12). I have Dell servers with Multiple nics setup with teaming enabled. After reading through what I could find regarding these I setup Switch A ports 1 & 2 as TRNK1, I then patched these into the team on the server.

All seemed OK with this but then some of the clients on that switch could not reach many of our network resources including the teamed server but some could.

I can move the clients to an alternate switch and the problems go away. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Todd
4 REPLIES 4
KSimpson
Frequent Advisor

Re: LACP, Trunks, Teams and Bonding

You will probably have to post your config of the switch. Have you check your ports that have the clients attached.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

>>> All seemed OK with this but then some of the clients on that switch could not reach many of our network resources including the teamed server but some could <<<

so connecting this team/trunk influenced traffic to other resources?

>>> I then patched these into the team on the server. <<<
The order wich serverport connects to wich switchport can influence the result.

Check if the team uses a single MAC-address for sending data or each nic uses it's own MAC-address.
Mostly it comes down that switches cannot send to the same MAC-adresses on multiple ports.
If so, the switch thinks a MAC-adress is constantly switching between two ports, which influences it's functioning.
Josh Boyer
Advisor
Solution

Hello,

I don├в t think this would be an issue with the switch only supporting a single Mac-Address table as Pieter suggested as it is a single trunk connected to multiple server NICs (Teamed) so weather the server has multiple or a single Mac should not matter the only time this would be an issue is if the ports were not trunked or if it was multiple trunks connected to the team (unlikely).

Todd what command on the switch did you use to configure your Trunk?

Trunk 1-2 TRNK1 trunk

Or

Trunk 1-2TRNK1 lacp

You would want to use the later ├в trunk 1-2trnk1 lacp├в as this is a static protocol (lacp) based trunk and the other command ├в trunk 1-2 trnk1 trunk├в is a static non-protocol trunk only another procurve switch would understand.

Also ensure the Team is configured for lacp or auto configuration and not active/passive. if you want to use just active passive then remove the trunk and just connect two switch ports to the team...the team should have two MAC addresses one for each NIC so this would not be a problem for a sinle mac table switch (the is a proper name for this but I cannot think if it at this time).

As KSimpson said a switch config would be helpful.

regards,
Todd Saettele

Thank you all for the input, I did use the Trunk option instead of the LACP, I noticed that LACP was an option in the menu view when I was reconfiguring this last night and all worked well after doing this.

Thanks again.