7441 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LACP across two switches...

RonniDK
Advisor

LACP across two switches...

Hi,

I have a server, which I want to connect to our network using LACP.

I would like a setup like this:

Switch1--------Switch2
| |
+----Server----+

LACP should then create a trunk using the servers two links connected to Switch1 and Switch2. I've read that this is not possible following the current IEEE standard, because the links have to connected to the same switch.

Some vendores should have their own solutions to this, but I can't find anything.

Anyone know if HP supports this, or some vendor that does?
3 REPLIES 3
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Re: LACP across two switches...

I'm assuming your diagram has not uploaded very well, As it shows two connections to sw1.
Anyway when you say "if HP supports this" do you mean Procurve?

Some Cisco switches from HP in the blade enclosures support this. Not familiar with the Procurve.

Basically you need to find if switches can be stacked... if they can be stacked then you can manage them as a single switch. If you manage them as a single switch you can have a LACP group between physical switches.

Its cheaper just to buy another 2 port NIC and have two LACP groups running Active/Passive to two switches than upgrade the switches.
RonniDK
Advisor

Yes, my diagram should be:

Switch1--------Switch2
| |
+----Server----+

And yes, I mean ProCurve, when I say HP.

It's not a blade enclosure, it's HP ProLiant servers.

:-)
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

the procurve switches do not support "trunk" or LACP links that are not coterminous...

what you are wanting to do is not possible...the lacp link from the server must goto the same switch...

hth...jeff