cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Le Switches and Dynamic IP Addressing/Hosting

IGR
Occasional Visitor

Le Switches and Dynamic IP Addressing/Hosting

HP Layer 3 switches do not support Dynamic IP Addressing (NAT}... just Static IP Addressing.

Has anyone been able to tackle this with either a third party appliance in conjunction with a HP ProCurve L3 Switch?

Perhaps there is a better or IT trick that can allow us to still put a ProCurve L3 in our environment and still utilize its outstanding lifetime warranties.

Most appreciative.. Thank you.
Show High Interest Then Stall
4 REPLIES
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: Le Switches and Dynamic IP Addressing/Hosting

You have got me confused. Dynamic IP Addressing is usually DHCP where a central server assigns the IP addresses. NAT is Network Address Translation. What exactly do you want the switch to do for you? Are ytou perhaps interested in Dynamic Routing instead of Static? Something like OSPF or RIPv2?

What model switch are you talking about?

Ron
Ardon
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Ron Kinner is right as your question is confusing but......
the 53XX (I asume) will have Static NAT in an upcoming firmware release for first quarter 2004.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks, Ardon
ProCurve Networking Engineer
IGR
Occasional Visitor

You are correct. Dynamic Routing [DR] on a Layer 3 switch is what I'm looking for. The 5300 Series does (or may not in future firmware upgrades) not allow DR.

Cisco, Netgear, and Procera have products that allow this. Being a government agency, we can not afford the higher costs of some of these companies. ProCurve offers a great lifetime value.

A solution to meet my DR needs while still keeping my budget under $2K would be favorable.
Show High Interest Then Stall
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

Procurve 5300XL *does* dynamic routing with RIP (v1 and v2) and OSPF. What protocol do you need?