New Discussion юеВ

Re: Leaky 4000M running 9.16

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Leaky 4000M running 9.16

Hi,

I'm investigating a leaky 4000M that's running the 9.16 firmware. When I plant a tcpdump on a switch port in promiscuous mode, I pick up (Ethernet) frames (and hence IP packets) that are meant for other switch ports.

I looked at the the MAC address table and hand counted about 300 entries in the CAM table. What's the proper way to look at the CAM table for a 4000M? Particularly % of CAM table in use/free.

I've also been told that the CAM table size of the 4000M is 16k. Is that 16k documented anywhere?

Thanks!
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
3 REPLIES 3
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hello Hwee Liang -

The data sheet says that the address table size is 10,000. See: http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/switches/switch4000/specs.htm .

Someone had earlier posted that the size of this table is 16k. It may be the case that the size of the underlying CAM is 16k, but I can assure you that the hashing mechanism used to access the address table makes the 10k number more relevant in a real-world LAN environment. For this reason, HP has never documented the 16k number and never will.

Ralph
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Ralph. Do you or does anyone here know if the Patricia Tree is being used?
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Hwee Liang -

I am sorry but I don't know whether the Patricia Tree is being used.

Ralph