1748169 Members
3776 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Learning ProCurve 2650-PWR

Joshua Bahnsen
Occasional Advisor

Learning ProCurve 2650-PWR

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, I have quite a bit to learn and as hard as I have tried to find answers to my questions that make me confident in moving ahead on the issues I have not been able to formulate the solution.

Here is what I am facing...

I am setting up a ProCurve 2650-PWR at a customer's site. I want to set it up with multiple VLANs and allow at least two of the VLANs to communicate with one another.

For the sake of making this all make sense, lets just set up a dummy model of the system.

VLAN10 will have an IP address of 10.10.10.22/24
VLAN20 will have an IP address of 192.168.5.10/24

There are some things I have learned, but for the sake of proper procedure could someone please walk me through the steps of setting this up properly so that I can do what I need to do?

Again, I am sorry that I do not have enough knowledge yet under my belt to set this up any better. Please let me know if you have any questions for me in this situation.

Thank you in advance,
Joshua Bahnsen
7 REPLIES 7
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Re: Learning ProCurve 2650-PWR

Hey Joshua,

No need to apologize for lack of knowledge, that's why we're all here on the forums!

Couple of things you will need to do for the VLANs to communicate with one another.

- Assign an IP address to the VLANs in question (make sure the hosts connected to this VLAN use this as their default gateway)
- Turn on IP routing

Can you clarify further what you are trying to achieve? Just that there's a lot to consider in setting up a network and VLANs might only be part of the solution you require.

Cheers,
Joel

Joshua Bahnsen
Occasional Advisor

More in depth then...

One of the VLANs will have voice and the other will have data.

So, for the sake of going with an example, VLAN10 is our voice VLAN with IP address 10.10.10.22/24 and our data VLAN is VLAN20 with IP address 192.168.5.10/24

VLAN10 has its own public IP address, so the server on it cannot really be directed to the VLAN for its default gateway.

VLAN20 has multiple public IP addresses. So pretty much the same setup on both sides.

Both VLANs have their own firewalls.

The primary reason these two VLANs need to communicate is so that the softphone software installed on some of the PCs on the data side can use the features on the voice side of things. When we setup the softphone software we tell it the IP address that it needs which will be on the other VLAN.

I am not sure how to go about making this work, I know that traffic needs to get directed to the VLANs, but I only want the traffic meant for that VLAN to go there, not all of it. I do know some of the servers at the customer's site are Microsoft Windows 2003 Servers so if there is anything I have to do on those to make this work please let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to assist me with this.

- Joshua Bahnsen
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Wow, that's a completely different kettle of fish from what I was expecting from your initial question...

Are you trying to implement this only with the 2650 (which is what your original question seems to imply)?

The only routing it will do is inter-VLAN routing and let you add some static routes. It doesn't support RIP or any other routing protocols.

It also does not support ACLs either so you would not be able to filter traffic if you needed to.

As far as your solution is concerned, I'm not a routing or voice guru so hopefully some of the other guys on the forum can shed some light for you.
Joshua Bahnsen
Occasional Advisor

Alright, every day I am learning a little bit more about this stuff. Maybe I can clarify it more...

From my understanding now after talking it over with my boss, we want to do 2 VLANs, the data VLAN is the default VLAN (VLAN1) and the voice will be VLAN2.

What I am curious about right now is if it is possible to give each VLAN their own default gateway and route the traffic between the two that needs to be routed between them.

So, could VLAN1 with its IP address of 10.10.10.22/24 have a default gateway going out its own firewall and route any traffic that wants 192.168.5.x to VLAN2 and vice versa?
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

You can't have default gateway per Vlan, its per switch, and what you need is a Policy based routing, means :
disable the routing on the 2600 and make its default gateway an external router that can do this kind of stuff.

And Remember you are asking so many things to do with a SWITCH, so its stil la switch, and has to do so many other things, and its not designed really to do this kind of things :)

Except for the 9300 which is a core switch and can do alot of good things.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Joshua Bahnsen
Occasional Advisor

Alright, thank you both for helping me with this. I appreciate you taking the time to draw out the questions and then letting me know quickly that what I want to do is going to require a different path.
Joshua Bahnsen
Occasional Advisor

I can see another solution is needed, if I need help figuring it out further I will begin another discussion. Thanks again guys for giving me your time.