New Discussion юеВ

Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) and ProCurve trunking

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thang Nguyen HP

Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) and ProCurve trunking

Hi Everyone,

Thank you to all that respond.

I have 2 x 2510-24G HP Switches and would like to setup ports 23 and 24 on both switches to be uplinks to each other to increase bandwidth between the two switches and redundancy if one of the cables become unplugged or fails. Any ideas on how to set this up?

Once I have this setup, I would like to be able to have my DL380 servers which have two Nics to be plugged into a port on each of the two switches for redundancy if one of the Nics fail or cable becomes unplugged (E.g. Nic 1 to port 1 on switch A and Nic 2 to port 1 on switch B)

Have been seaching for documentation on how to set this up and seems like I need to use LACP but not sure how. Any help would be apprecicated!

Thang

6 REPLIES 6
serpel
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) and ProCurve trunking

Hi,
to build the trunk between the switches just:

conf t
trunk 23,24 trk1 trunk
exit
wr mem

for the problem with your servers you can`t trunk ports between different switches, but you can do fault toleranze, this means just one link of the servers is active. this has to be configured at your servers. nothing to configer at the switches.
hth
alex
Taifur
Respected Contributor

Hi THang,

You can check below link as follows,

http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/manuals/2510.htm

"Management and Configuration Guide for the ProCurve Switches: 2510-24, Software Version Q.11.xx or greater and 2510-48, Software Version U.11.xx or greater"

Rgds//
Taifur
Thang Nguyen HP

Thanks Alex,

So on the server side, just enable the NIC teaming to be fault tolerant?

Can you setup a trunk port on two switches if you set them up in a stack (this is in regards to the servers to have both ports active)?

Thang
serpel
Trusted Contributor

no,
the stacking feature isn't that good. it's just a virtual stack. so you still can't trunk ports from two switches.
hth
alex

Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

Hi !

At first I'd advise you to read the following document:
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01415139/c01415139.pdf

Good luck,
Dmitry

P.S. Please express your thanks by assigning points to the people who helped you !
Thang Nguyen HP

Thanks guys for all the responses. I have just implemented the trunks on port 23 and 24 on both switches and tests work fine when I pull out a cable from eachof the ports one at a time.

I still have a problem with my servers though. I have two NICs:
- HP NC373i (onboard)
- HP NC373T (PCIe)

When I have them in a team it works fine but when I pull out a cable from one of them or disable on of the nic's from within Windows, I lose network connectivity until I reboot the server.

I have configured the team in "Network Fault Tolerance Only" but have also tried "transmit Load Balancing with Fault Tolerance" and "Automatic" but nothing works when testing.

Also using the latest nic drivers from HP website.

Anything I am missing?

Thanks
Thang