Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752646 Members
5578 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Link aggregation between HP ProCurve 5406zl and Dell PowerConnect M6220 switches

forrestforrest

Link aggregation between HP ProCurve 5406zl and Dell PowerConnect M6220 switches

Hi,

I'm having issues with configuring successfully LACP link aggregation (trunking) between a HP ProCurve 5406zl switch and a Dell PowerConnect M6220 switch. It looks like it's configured properly on the switches, however 2 out of the 4 ports configured for this on the ProCurve switch appears to have the port blocked and does not recognize the LACP partner. Below is the result I get when looking at the LACP status of the switch itself:

CORE Switch 1# show lacp

LACP

PORT LACP TRUNK PORT LACP LACP
NUMB ENABLED GROUP STATUS PARTNER STATUS
---- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
B9 Active Trk10 Blocked No Failure
B10 Active Trk10 Blocked No Failure
B11 Active Trk10 Up Yes Success
B12 Active Trk10 Up Yes Success

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated in getting all four ports of this trunk enabled and working.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Re: Link aggregation between HP ProCurve 5406zl and Dell PowerConnect M6220 switches

please check

all port same speed and same media type must have on two switch
cenk

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

and you must use LACP trunk on hp switch

for example
# trunk b9-b12 trk1 lacp
cenk

forrestforrest

I definitely have these ports configured for trunking withing the configuration on the HP ProCurve:

trunk B9-B12 Trk10 LACP

All four ports are using identical cables connecting between the two switches. Both are configured for Auto. When I tried manual configuration and set to 1000/Full, some of the ports on switches refused to go up, seems to only like Auto, which automatically configures both ends to 1000/Full.

On the Dell switch, I assigned those ports to a channel-group.

All ports for this link aggregate on both switches are identically configured on both switches. Not sure why 2 of the 4 ports are blocked though...

Thanks for your time and efforts.
Aar├│n
Frequent Advisor

On the Dell side try using "channel-group X mode auto". That way you will have LACP enabled and "Active", ie. sending lacp pdu's through that channel.

To chech how it's working type "show lacp ethernet x/gXX parameters" and you will see if it's working and how it's configured.

I hope this helps you ;)
Aar├│n
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, auto mode is passive lacp mode, that should be enough to get the LACP working. If you want to use it as Active on the PowerConnect, use it as "channell-group X mode static", ok?

Take care
Ardon
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Cenk wrote:

'and you must use LACP trunk on hp switch

for example
# trunk b9-b12 trk1 lacp'

Not true as the 5412 is running ACTIVE LACP so it will handshake the Trunk. The command '
trunk b9-b12 trk1 lacp' will create a Static LACP Trunk.

Anyway. If you look into the Management and Configuration Guide of the 5412 you will find the answer you are looking for I think:

'Blocked Ports with Older Devices. Some older devices are limited to four
ports in a trunk. When eight LACP-enabled ports are connected to one of these
older devices, four ports connect, but the other four ports are blocked. The
LACP status of the blocked ports is shown as ├в Failure├в .'

Unfortunately it is not mentioned in the Dell 6220 Configuration Guide how many link are allowed in a 802.3ad Trunk. However, the two examples listed over there show only two port in one Trunk......
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/PCM6220/en/config/config_en.pdf

Of course the former mentioned possible speed/duplex mismatches should be checked as well as this can lead to a trunk negotiation failure (Blocked).

Besides from the above. Why would you want to use Dynamic LACP (for sure not my favorite). A Dynamic LACP Trunk runs in the Default VLAN only and, in order to run multiple VLAN over it, you need GVRP.

ProCurve Networking Engineer