1753819 Members
8013 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Linking a 2626 VLAN to an unmanaged switch

Robert Peirce
Advisor

Linking a 2626 VLAN to an unmanaged switch

I am in the process of converting our network from an unmanaged switch environment to a managed switch environment. However, I have a question about connecting a VLAN port from the 2626 to an unmanaged switch.

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect one of the ports on 2626's VLANs to an unmanaged switch and have clients connected to that unmanaged switch become part of the VLAN?

I have tried this here, but with no success.

I will greatly appreciate any feedback.
6 REPLIES 6
Claes A

If you connect an unmanaged swith to, lets say port 1 on your 2626, and port 1 is an untagged member of VLAN1 all the ports on the unmanaged switch will be members of VLAN1 aswell.
Ben Dehner
Trusted Contributor

Presumably, the unmnaged switch does not understand 802.1Q tagging, so you'll have to treat it like an access port. Just set the connecting port on the 2626 as an untagged port, and assign it a default VLAN of whatever the desired VLAN is. Since the remote switch doesn't understand 802.1Q, the 2626 is goign to have to handle the VLAN details and decisions, and hide them from the unmanaged switch by untagging the port.
Trust me, I know what I'm doing
Robert Peirce
Advisor

Thank you for your reponse.

I have untagged the port of the VLAN which uplinks the unmanaged switch. Now from the the client on the unamanged switch I am able to ping the IP address of each of the other VLANs on the 2626, but not any clients connected to them. In addition, I am not able to ping the IP of VLAN_3 from clients connected to VLAN_1 or VLAN_2.
VLAN_3 is the one which the unamanaged switch is connected to.

I have enabled IP routing and each VLAN has an IP address assigned.
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

What are the default gateways of your clients? They should be set to their respective VLAN address.
Alexey Turpanov

Robert,
some of unmanaged switches do support 802.1q tags and even 802.1p! Check if yours.
Alexey Turpanov

Robert,
some of unmanaged switches do support 802.1q tags and even 802.1p! Check yours.