108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Locating 210 radios across WAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric LeMaster
Occasional Contributor

Locating 210 radios across WAN

I am building a network at a new facility that my company aquired. As part of the network solution, I installed a couple of HP 210 radios. I already have a Wireless Services card (J9051A) installed at a different location and wish to use it to manage the new radios - however the Wireless Services cannot locate the radios.

For the new facility to find the location where the Wireless Services card exist, the date must travel past 2 other sites. I created vlan 2100 on each core switch at each site (each site obviously has its own subnet)then tagged the appropriate ports - but that didn't seem to work. Also seems that the radio doesn't like that VLAN and wants to use VLAN 2101?

Is it possible to manage radio at remote sites? If so, what is the proper way to configure the switches so that the Wireless Services will be able to locate them?

Thanks in advance for any input!

8 REPLIES 8
Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor

How are the sites connected?

Best bet would be to pull down the Management guide from here http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/manuals/wireless_zl.htm
Go to page 1-68 for how RPs and the WESM communicate. Then go on to 2-57 for more specific information on RP Adoption. I suspect you are going to need to look at the section on Layer 3 adoption (2-62) if your sites are connected via a router.
Eric LeMaster
Occasional Contributor

The site are connected with 50mbps fiber.
Eric LeMaster
Occasional Contributor

Also, all routing is done with the Procurve 5400 and 3500 seriers switches.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

50Mbps ???
cenk

Eric LeMaster
Occasional Contributor

Yes, it is a WAN solution provided by Time Warner.
Kevin.Meany
Advisor
Solution

With the newer WESM code you can do Layer 3 discovery of the RPs by using DHCP option strings so they can call back to the WESM's. That is documented in the manual that was pointed out earlier. One thing though if the RP's have been sitting on the shelf a while they may need to have their firmware updated to support this feature. Unfortunately you can't find out what version of code they have loaded until they are discovered by the WESM(little catch-22). Also remember that all the traffic from remote RPs will be tunneled back to the WESM module(s) and orignate from that interface.

There's also a hostname that the RP can attempt to resolve, using the DNS suffix it received in the DHCP lease.

Our internal wiki says: "Option 189 of the DHCP lease must be populated with the IP's of of up to 3 WESMs (seperated by spaces), or procurve-wesm. must resolve to the IP of a WESM (this can be altered, but it requires Layer 2 adoption first)."
Eric LeMaster
Occasional Contributor

I have the radio communicating, so much help! However, this is one more issue and that is the clients and the remote location are receiving DHCP addresses from the location of the WES. I see where I can set up DHCP server on the WES and can assign the appropriate VLAN, however, I would prefer it find the exising DHCP servers. Is this possible?