1753775 Members
7267 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Loud fans on Procurve 2650

Bruce Campbell_3
Valued Contributor

Loud fans on Procurve 2650

We've recently installed about 60 Procurve 2650 switches. Everything is working fine. Nice product.

Most of these switches are in telecommunications closets, where they should be. But three are in areas where the noise
from the cooling fans on the switch is disturbing people. Much louder than say Cisco 2950 or Extreme Summit 200.

Apart from installing soundproof 19" racks,
any suggestions ? We also have some Extreme Summit 48si switches, and while those have loud fans too, they adjust their fan speed downwards to reduce the noise, to a bearable
level.

I've ruled out putting duct tape over the
vents on the switches.
Bruce Campbell
Director, Network Services
Information Systems and Technology
MC 1018
(519)888-4567 x38323
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON
10 REPLIES 10
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Loud fans on Procurve 2650

Hello Bruce,

I presume that you are talking about the J4899B. I don't have the specs on the 2950 or Extreme box but... I talked to support regarding the A vs B version of the 2650. The following info I got from ProCurve-Support:

=============================================
The unit is in bels which is a measure for Noise Power Emission Level.

Product LNPE (bels)
ProCurve 2600 4.6
Nortel 450T 5.6
Intel 510T 5.6
Cisco 3524 6.2
3COM 3300 6.1
ProCurve 2424M 5.8
3Com 3300XM 5.1

The decibel level is the same between A and B versions, the noise perception of B hardware is higher. This is due to the pitch level.

ProCurve is aware of the "B" version appearing to be noisier than the "A" version and there is an ongoing investigation for a solution.
=============================================

I think you do good in calling ProCurve Support. I know the 2848 has variable speedfans.

Best Regards,

SCOOTER
Bruce Campbell_3
Valued Contributor

Thanks. Yes it is the 'B' model, although we do have a few 'A' models also. I hadn't
noticed a difference, but hadn't gone
specifically listening.

I will open a case with Procurve support,
as you suggest. If they do improve it
in a later model, buying three new switches and swapping things around is a realistic
solution.

As an aside, the old Cisco 3524 is a brute noisewise, but the new Cisco 2950 and Summit200 are close to inaudible.
Bruce Campbell
Director, Network Services
Information Systems and Technology
MC 1018
(519)888-4567 x38323
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON
nic_9
Advisor

the 2650 and 2626 are VERY loud. I have a few, and it's surprising just how loud a small device can be
Carl Boyd
Occasional Contributor

I work for school districts, and I get people complaining about this all the time. Unfortunately I don't really have any suggestions as to fixing the noise on the 2600's, but if they'd suit the job I've started using Procurve 2524s in noise-sensitive areas, since they appear to be almost silent (especially compared to the 2600). I know the 2600 is a better switch, but if the 2500s will be good enough, it'd band-aid the noise problem.
Scott Maxwell_2
Advisor

I'd be interested if a solution was found to the 2626/2650 noise issue.

I too have had many complaints regarding these switches and would love a solution I manage hundreds of 2500 and 2600 switches.

1 thing I've noticed with the 2524's is that some are very loud while some are nearly silent. It was discovered that the silent one's have a thermocouple type device attached to the fan, the fan part numbers are the same for boths switches (except for a small black printed number, like a serial number) the switches have identical part numbers and hardware revisions.

It would be great if HP could come up with a plan to retrofit the older style fans with the newer style and provide this technology on the fans for the 2600.
I know this wouldn't be as easy as the fans are a lot smaller and there is a couple instead of 1. Anyway enough rambling from me.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Hi Scott,

There are new 2600's coming out right now which have dual-speed fans. You'll need to call support and they should be able to help you through the process.

Matt
Charles Lewis

We are having the same problem, and it is very frustrating. We have over 10 switches gathering dust because we cannot deploy them to needed locations due to the noise. Has anyone heard of any enclosures or cases that mute the sound yet still provide adequate airflow?
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

As Matt stated the new 2600 switches are dropping in.
My advice is to call HP support and log a call for your fan noise issue and ask for a replacement with a more quiet fan.

Best Regards,

SCOOTER
Nick Walton
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

A search for noise level of the 2650 switch pulled up this thread. As I feared the 2650 is not suitable for a planned location as people will share the location with it.

I am looking for a 48-port Gigabit switch that is relatively quiet. I have also eliminated the Dell PowerConnect 2748.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
It's got two chances - it will either work or it won't!