1752282 Members
4900 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MRTG OIDs for HP9308 Switch CPU

Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Do you have the latest software version?

07.6.01b is the latest on the website at:

http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/switches.htm

It just came out last month.

Ron
Leo Chicote
Occasional Advisor

I'm running 7.504 which shouldn't make a difference. I don't see any fixes for snmp related bugs on 7.6.01b....
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

So who trusts the release notes. ;-)

Just get the program getif and point it at the beast.

http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm

Load the HP mibs in the Mibs folder under getif. Put in the hostname (best to use the ip address) and community strings and hit start. It should come back with the SysName at least. Then go to MBrowser and open up the iso until you get to the one you want or paste the number in at the top. Then press Walk. If it still doesn't work then either upgrade the software or talk to HP.

Ron
Leo Chicote
Occasional Advisor

Here are the oids I was able to use for cpu utilization on the HP9308 "1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.7.11.12.1.2.1.35.0" or .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.hp.nm.system.netElement.hpEtherSwitch.hpSwitch.switch.snAgentSys.snAgentGbl.snAgGblCpuUtilData.
The data type is a gauge and so far the graph is comparable to command line results.
Thor_4

I am working on a school project and trying to monitor CPU usage on a HP procurve 2512 switch, using MRTG. Below is pasted from the config file:
Target[Jalla_cpu]: 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.9.6.1.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.9.6.1.0:public@10.30.0.10
MaxBytes[Jalla_cpu]: 100
Options[Jalla_cpu]: nopercent, gauge, unknaszero
Title[Jalla_cpu]: HP switch
PageTop[Jalla_cpu]:

HP switch

YLegend[Jalla_cpu]: CPU Utilization
ShortLegend[Jalla_cpu]: %
LegendI[Jalla_cpu]: CPU
LegendO[Jalla_cpu]: .
Legend1[Jalla_cpu]: CPU Utilization
Legend2[Jalla_cpu]: .
Legend3[Jalla_cpu]: Max value per interval on graph
Legend4[Jalla_cpu]: .
Colours[Jalla_cpu]: GREEN#00eb0c,BLUE#0000ff,GRAY#AAAAAA,VIOLET#ff00ff
WithPeak[Jalla_cpu]: ymw
Unscaled[Jalla_cpu]: dwmy

My problem is getting MRTG to make a website with graphs from this. I have no problems getting graphs when I monitor traffic on the ports.
I have tryed the OIDs and gotten response from them.
Since I am rather clueless, I hope someone know what I did wrong. Or didnt do.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

It's a bad idea to post a new problem on the end of an old one. Then you can't reward the answers with points so you won't get as many responses.

However, you need to be a little more specific about your problem. What exactly is the problem? Does it create the log files and not do the graphs or does it not create any log files at all or are the log files and graphs all zero? Does it finish without errors? (Run it manually and see if it has any complaints.)

When you tried the OID what value did you get back?

Are you running on UNIX, LINUX or Windows?

Ron
Thor_4

It does not create any log files at all, or other files. That is the big problem sort of.
I get no errors when finishing it.
Values from the OID varied from 6 to 7.
Running Linux, redhat 8.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

I run MRTG on an NT box so some things are a bit different. In NT I have a bat file which the scheduler calls. It is nothing more than: perl mrtg mrtg.cfg (tho with full paths for mrtg and mrtg.cfg). If I just run that command I get error messages in the current window. Have you tried that? I've never been able to redirect the messages to another file so I have to sit there and watch it.

Is your cfg file appended to the bottom of the successful cfg file for the traffic or a stand alone? If stand alone you need to set the directory at the top of the file.

WorkDir: /home/http/mrtg

Make sure the directory exists.

Also look for a lock file with an old date on it. On mine it is mrtg.cfg_l. Should be in the same directory as mrtg and mrtg.cfg (the config file). If you find one you need to remove it.

I trust you have the correct community string and ip address for the switch and that the mrtg box is on the same VLAN as the management IP for the switch.

Ron