Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752584 Members
4546 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MRTG - Windows 2000 server - Procurve 4000

Jim Yothers

MRTG - Windows 2000 server - Procurve 4000

Useing standard practice with the MRTG tool for bandwidth monitoring on the ports for the switch doesn't work. I have seen places on the web that have it and it does. Cannot find the information on the configuration file or the HP configuration to make this work. TopTools is a pig, and OV is not an option. Need help. Please! Thank you
3 REPLIES 3
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: MRTG - Windows 2000 server - Procurve 4000

Need a little more detail. What does not work? Does the switch refuse to talk to the mrtg cfgmaker? (Did you set the community string via the command line? Did you make sure that the MRTG PC is on the security list to be allowed to talk to the switch? Are you able to ping the switch? (not in another vlan from the default are you?))

Does the resulting cfg file not contain all ports?

Does it look like it is working but the graphs are all straight lines or data which is not real?

I had a problem with a Memotec where the default MRTG cfg made by cfgmaker just did not give the right info. I used getif (http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm) to walk through the MIBS until I found the correct one. You can get a big hp MIBs file from http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/mibsforhps11110_swen.html
If you unpack it into the getif MIBS folder then you will get the explanations for what each thing is when you walk through the MIBs. Then you just copy the string of numbers into the cfg file and change the target line to read something like this:

Target[Data800]: 1.3.6.1.4.1.495.2.1.6.3.2.1.51.4.135&1.3.6.1.4.1.495.2.1.6.3.2.1.52.4.135:public@10.1.1.2

Sometimes you have to set the maxbytes to a higher number but getif will help you by telling you what value SNMP will be reading.

Ron
Jim Yothers

Ok, details...
Set community to unrestricted and named it
Set authorative IP from myself and monitoring server
I can telnet, ping, any echo, etc...
Command line = perl cfgmaker mrtg@XXX.XX.XXX.XX --global "WorkDir: c:\www\mrtg\" --output hpswitch.cfg
(whereas mrtg=community name)

I get the sensation that SNMP is not working correctly. My config file comes back basically blank, nothing past the standard items from MRTG on the top. No graphs no nothing. I tried to walk manually and had no succsess either.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

I agree with you that it looks like SNMP is not working. You won't get any graphs until you get something in your config file. If it were working you would get a cfg file which starts like this:

WorkDir: c:\www\mrtg######################################################################
# Description: Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) 4500 Software (C4500-D-M), Version 11.0(11), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 16-Sep-96 18:37 by athavale
# Contact:

etc. Your Description info would come from the switch. My example is from a Cisco router but it gives you an idea of the info that shows up on the Description: line.

The book says the SNMP changes take effect as soon as they are saved and you don't have to reboot but I would browse the config file to make sure that it had accepted and saved the changes you made and that they were what you thought they were. (Maybe it saved the community string in all caps or added a space at the beginning/end or something stupid like that?) Then I would reboot just on general principles. Before you reboot check the log files from the web browser. See if it reports attempts by unauthorized users to use SNMP.

After that I think I would temporarily remove the community string changes you have made and also remove your entries in the security table. Maybe even put it back to the default config with nothing but the IP address. See if it will then talk to you using the public community string. Then if that works put them back one at a time.

If it still doesn't work I'd upgrade to the latest version of code:

http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/j4110916.htm

There are a lot of SNMP issues in the release notes.

Ron