1753326 Members
4908 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSM422 J9358A Firmware version and upgrade location

P L Derby
Occasional Advisor

MSM422 J9358A Firmware version and upgrade location

I recently purchased an HP Procurve E-MSM422 access point that came with 5.3.1.0-01-7143 Firmware. The HP product number is J9358A. I've read on other posting on this forum that more recent firmware is available. My access point has to be restarted about once a week when it quits accepting 802.11n connections from clients. I'd like to see if more recent firmware improves the stability of the device before delving into fiddling around with all the combinations of settings. Since the AP works for a week before "not connecting" I think my settings are OK.

I've spent an hour trying to find upgraded firmware on HPs web site. Does anyone know where HP hid the firmware? I've searched every combination of product number I can think of...

Thanks for the help!
3 REPLIES 3
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Re: MSM422 J9358A Firmware version and upgrade location

hp MSM product software update not free

please examine this link

http://h10144.www1.hp.com/customercare/support/software/wireless-lan.htm
cenk

P L Derby
Occasional Advisor

Since the Access Point is less than a month old, I thought the software updates were available for 1 year without having to purchase a support plan.

I get in an infinite "do loop" on the HP site trying to get to the firmware downloads for this AP, even though I have registered the purchase.

I'll open a support incident and maybe someone in India will contact me and try to help in 4 or 5 days...... sigh...
P L Derby
Occasional Advisor

As I suspected, there is much newer firmware that seems to have solved the 802.11n stability. As of Feb 7, 2011, the firmware level for the MSM 422 is 5.3.6.18-01-9217.

As I reported earlier, the HP web site incorrectly claims there is no firmware update for this device.

I did open 2 tickets asking for assistance. One one Feb 6 and one on Feb 7. Neither ticket was responded to.

Needing to get this access point stable, I called HP's tech support number and after talking to someone briefly to determine which queue to place me, I waited on hold for 63 minutes before being connected to a support person.

After giving the support person my two case numbers, one of which had my receipt for the MSM422 showing my unit was new and under warranty, she placed the firmware in an FTP "shared" folder which I downloaded and upgraded the Access Point.

So it took 2 days, 2 tickets, an hour of web surfing, and an hour of hold time to get to HP. It took 5 minutes to get the needed upgrade and a couple of minutes to do the upgrade.

I sure hope HP cleans up the process to get to firmware for the MSS442. Right ow it is a HUGE waste of time and a big hassle just to get to someone to get firmware upgrades. The support person tried to explain the contorted process to get firmware upgrades as having something to do with the Sarbanes-Oxley act. I didn't even try to understand that explanation.... Sigh.....