5734 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSM422 dhcp issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Forcey

MSM422 dhcp issue

I'm setting up a single AP with one passcoded wireless network - no controller. I want the AP to have a static IP so I always know "where" to find it for management. What do I need to set up to allow dhcp to pass through from my network domain controller (windows active directory) to the wireless workstations?
4 REPLIES 4
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Re: MSM422 dhcp issue

1st you will connect to the AP and switch it to Autonomos mode, then define an IP address to it by going to Network > Ports > Bridge port. then choose static and configure an ip address.

on the switch untag the port that connects the AP in the vlan that you are using.

It will be better for you if you checked the configuration guide in the below link.

http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/r531/MSM3xx4xx-MCG-May09-5992-5937.pdf
David Forcey

What is meant by "untag"?
I have a mixture of HP and Cisco switches. Does Cisco use the same terminology?
Thanks
Shadow13
Respected Contributor
Solution

Untag = access port on cisco switches, so if you want to make a port a member of a vlan you need to go to this vlan an untag the port there.

Also tagged = trunk port in cisco, mean the uplink ports connected to other switched must be tagged on all the vlans that should be carried
David Forcey

FIXED!
Here I'm posting all the steps for anyone else that may need them:
Background: The MSM422 (AP) is being attached to a pre-existing wired network which has a DHCP server set up. The AP had some configuration done which wasn't working, so I wanted to start from scratch.
1. Connected to the LAN using a "Straight-through" (standard, not "cross-over")ethernet cable to a Power Injector (PowerDsine 3001GC) and Power Injector to Access Point (AP) model HP MSM422 (or Colubris MAP-625).
2. Pressed and held the reset on the AP using a paperclip for ~3 seconds (until the lights blinked 3 times).
3. After waiting through the AP's boot process, the status LEDs (three LEDs on the left side of the top of the unit) are flashing left to right in succession (1-2-3-1-2-3...).
4. Recorded the MAC address from the Ethernet side of the AP (printed on a sticker). Looked at the DHCP Address Leases (in the DHCP manager) for the MAC address of the AP (listed under the "Unique ID" column) and found the Client IP Address from the first column. Used that IP to access the AP: http://{DHCP-assigned address}. Because the AP was reset, the login is admin/admin.
5. Click on button to Change to Autonomous Mode (and wait for restart).
6. Log in again and go to Network > Ports > Bridge port. Then choose static and configure an ip address appropriate for your network. Click Save.
7. Log into the AP using the newly assigned address.
8. At this point, you can find a wide open wireless network called HP Procurve which will [only] let you browse the internet.
9. Under VSC > Profiles, chose "HP Procurve" and chang "Name (SSID)" from "HP Procurve" to your wireless network name. This is the name that will show up when wireless devices are browsing for a network. Save.
10. Under Management > System Time, set "... Timezone... " and time. Under VSC > Profiles, checked "Wireless Protection"
Settings: WPA/WPA or WPA2/Preshared Key/{secretkey}. Under VSC > Profiles, cleared the "Wireless security filters" checkbox. (Now you can access network file shares as well as the internet.)
Be sure to save settings after each change.
Now just go to your wireless device, find the wireless network you just set up, type in the "secretkey" and you should be up and running.
Thanks for your help!