1752490 Members
5710 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSTP vlan addition

Mallanna

MSTP vlan addition

Hi,

I have new switch and need to have new vlans on it, routing will happen through core switch, i have one mstp region with multiple vlans and 2 instance are running, if i create only new vlans on new switch and map it to existing instance will mstp region will change? do i need to create existing vlans and new vlans on all switches even it is not required.
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

When MSTP is enabled, all vlans (1-4094) are preassigned to the IST (internal instance), so as you "create" a vlan, it already has a spanning-tree instance home.

As you create vlans, there is no change to the MSTP config.

If you subsequently configure a vlan to a specific MSTP instance, then the MSTP config has changed, and then yes, all switches in that MSTP region must be configured _identically_ (create vlans, map to specific instance - even if those vlans are not used) or the switches will be in different MSTP domains, and MSTP will not work correctly.

hth...Jeff
Mallanna

Thanks, while changing mst instance will it be any fluctioation in the ntwork, because i am going to do changes in production environment, if yes i will have take approval for dowtime.
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Mallanna asked: "while changing mst instance will it be any fluctuation in the network, because i am going to do changes in production environment, if yes i will have take approval for downtime."

There is always a chance some disruption could occur.

I would schedule an outage and make changes. (best practice when possible anyway)

Since changes should be the same, you could commands in a text editor, then copy and paste them into the switch config, at least it speeds up the process some.

hth...Jeff
Mallanna

Thank you very much Jeff...