4385 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mac-notify availability in 2600 switches

Aar├│n
Frequent Advisor

Mac-notify availability in 2600 switches

Hello dear forum experts,

I recently upgraded a 2610-24/12PWR to the latest firmware version (R.11.54) and I noticed a the new functionality mac-notify.

This is extremely useful for us to have a little historical of who connected where on a MAC level. So the question is, will this feature be available on switches 2650/2626?

If not, do you guys store a DB with MAC addresses in your network? If you do, how??
4 REPLIES 4
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

That is interesting, I'd also find that useful if it was introduced onto the 2650 series!
We don't collect MAC address information across the whole of our network at the moment and the people that I do know of that do this are using a product called PortIQ.
Aar├│n
Frequent Advisor

Yes it is. I just checked the PortIQ appliance and it looks interesting but I don't think it's worth the money it costs as it can be done by parsing some logs. It's more work but right now we are short in funds.

One application we tried was Wiremaps (https://trac.luffy.cx/wiremaps/) but it was quite limited.
Aar├│n
Frequent Advisor

Finally we used a Cacti plugin named Mactrack, it works as a charm. It has some problems with the automatic db rollback but besides that I have no complaint.

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi

2626 and 2650 are long out of production. No new features will be added, sorry.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer