1753682 Members
5588 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Major Networking Dilema Need HELP!!!

Dennis_64
Occasional Contributor

Major Networking Dilema Need HELP!!!

Hi guys, I have this major major dilema and its giving me a terrible headache. I'm currently running on windows xp pro on my main computer, and my networked laptop is running on windows xp home edition. I'm running on a crossover connection with a crossover cable. The network was working just fine before, but then some errors occured. And i reset the network. since then, I have not been able to stay on the network for longer than 25 minutes without the main computer crashing. I'm connected on the internet through DSL connection. I have formatted both the laptop and the main computer, but yet, it still causes the network to crash and the main computer to crash also. What is the problem? Has anyone had a similar situation before? I really need help on this. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Robert_134
Advisor

Re: Major Networking Dilema Need HELP!!!

It seems pretty tricky but I would start by checking the computers first.

1) Connect one computer to the DSL modem and cruise the internet for a while (more than 25 minutes). If nothing happens, then you know it's not that computer.
2) Do the same with the other computer. Hook it up to the DSL modem and cruise the web for more than 25 minutes.
3) If any of these computers crash, then you'll have the culprit. If both computers crash, it may be the DSL router/modem.
4) I would also connect the computers together VIA crossover but don't connect the main computer to the DSL router/modem. Check the network connection for more than 25 minutes. If the computers crash, then you know it's not the DSL modem but maybe one of the computers (NIC maybe?).

My suggestion would be to get a cheap DSL router with DHCP with a few ports for the other computer/s (pricewatch.com or Bestbuy) . It makes trouble shooting a lot easier. Plus it seems like this type of connections will, sooner or later, give you a problem. I think it has to do with IP addressing. Not sure.

Hope this can help. -Rob
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and get the latest patches for both systems.

Also get Zone Alarm from www.zonelabs.com (there is a free version but you have to poke around to find it). You may have picked up a hitchiker somewhere and zone alarm will tell you when it tries to go out on the net. Since you are on line all of the time with DSL you are especially vulnerable to attacks so you need zone alarm anyway.

Also get ad-aware at www.lavasoftusa.com. Again there is a free version but you have to look for it. Run ad-aware to make sure you don't have any nasty spyware causing problems. Delete anything it finds.

Run a good anti virus program. If you don't have one try housecall's free system scan to verify that you don't have a virus:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

What was the nature of the errors that made you reset the network and exactly what did you do to "reset the network?"

Do
ipconfig /all
on both computers and see what it says.

Ron
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Rather than AdAware, you may want to use Spybot Search and Destroy from http://security.kolla.de/. It was rated highest by PC Mag in a review about 2 weeks ago. I've used AdAware in the past, tried Spybot after reading the review, and it is better. Much more functionality, good GUI, and will examine my entire system in roughly 1/8 the time that AdAware took.
Jeff Montgomery
Occasional Advisor

I agree with the software firewall idea and checking for spyware. Gotta ask if you're using an antivirus package, too.

If you have any open public ports, it could be a recurring attack from outside. I am paranoid so I have a Netgear firewall router between me and the world, which helps for various scans and attacks. One look at my firewall log would sell you on that one. ZoneAlarm should warn you of some things, where a process requests network access.

Since you've formatted the systems, that weighs against a malicous software application unless it snuck from your unformatted system back onto your newly formatted one, or was re-downloaded, etc.

The other option is the hardware, where the problem would also not go away after formatting. I'd see if you can get any diagnostic tools from whoever makes your network cards.
Jeff Montgomery
Occasional Advisor

Also, relating to what Robert said, I know someone whose network is disrupted each night around 7 PM when his router gets a new IP address from the server. If you can at least borrow a router to try, then the router will get the IP address instead of your system and maybe that will help.

How are you connected to the Internet when you are already using the Ethernet ports. USB?
Jeff Montgomery
Occasional Advisor

Also, relating to what Robert said, I know someone whose network is disrupted each night around 7 PM when his router gets a new IP address from the server. If you can at least borrow a router to try, then the router will get the IP address instead of your system and maybe that will change the equation.

How are you connected to the Internet when you are already using the Ethernet ports. USB?