Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually failover VRRP

Laurent L.
Occasional Contributor

Manually failover VRRP

Hi

We have some VRID instances running on a 5406zl (master) / 3500yl (backup). I'd like to force the backup router to become primary (for a firmware upgrade...), but haven't found any cli command to manually do it on 5400/3500 ?
I've also tried to change the priority of the master from 255 to a value lower than 100, but the 5400 answers 'VR operation must be 'down' prior to modifying VR's parameters.'

Any idea ? or should I disable/unplugge all links to backbone network from the master and forget my firmware upgrade "over the network" ?

1 REPLY
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

Re: Manually failover VRRP

I guess you need to disable the VR in the 5406 first by doing a :
"no vrrp vrid enable" (assuming you are already in the relevant VLAN)

Then you can make your VRRP configuration changes like designating as backup or owner.
using these commands ( from a vlan context)
"vrrp vrid backup/owner"

Hope that helps in someway

Javed