Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748226 Members
4553 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Many RSTP root changes

A Dawson

Many RSTP root changes

on several ( but not all my switches ) I see some many RSTP spanning tree root changes

I 01/21/09 10:15:00 stp: RSTP Root changed from 32768:000cdb-48f500 to
32768:000cdb-4d7e00
I 01/21/09 10:15:01 stp: RSTP Root changed from 32768:000cdb-4d7e00 to
32768:000cdb-48f500

Here is a diagram that shows the network topology

HP 9308-1 <--> HP 9308-2
|
|
|
|
|
HP 2650-1 <--> HP 2650-2

There was a second link from 9308-2 to 2650-2, but we removed it to simplify whilst we are investigating some spanning tree problems.

Spanning tree is enabled on the 9308's and on the 2650's

Why do I see all these log entries on only some of the 2600's.

The configurations are similar across our company, on all the switches, but not all show the RSTP changes.
3 REPLIES 3
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

Re: Many RSTP root changes

A few things we've learnt recently about spanning tree and HP kit:

Despite a switch claiming to be running RSTP it might be running STP until a reboot. This is seen by ports entering listerning, learning states rather than transitioning to forwarding immediately. This causes problems because by default a port in basic STP will cause a topology change. In RSTP a port is an edge port by default and won't cause a topology change.

Try (switch firmware supporting) the following:

show spanning-tree debug-counters ports [ethernet] instance 0

Look for Topology Change Rx with a last updated time which matches the last spanning tree reconvergence. Use this command to narrow down where the change originated from.
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

Sorry, also we've noticed that some of our switches are not seeing topology changes despite running RSTP, having been rebooted and no bpdu-filters being present. We believe there's some bugs in certain firmware which cause this behaviour.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

simply a bad connection can trigger a topology change.
a link with a lot of data traffic also.

Instead of letting the switches decide wich is the root using all standard rules, designate one switches as the spanning-tree root and another as secondary root using the spannning-tree priority.
This will lower the number of topology changes drastically.