cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring bandwidth (SNMP) at the VLAN level

nik martin
Occasional Contributor

Measuring bandwidth (SNMP) at the VLAN level

I am a co location provider, and as such, I have multiple customers connected to my edge or aggregation switches, which are HP 2910s. These connect to my core, a 5406zl. I set each customer up in a vlan, and need to measure traffic in and out of the vlan, but intra vlan (and port to port traffic) traffic is ok, as I don't charge for that. When I set up a vlan, I see it in my MIB browser, and it even has an ifOcytetsIn and ifOctetsOut MIB, but the counters never increment. Counters DO increment on trunks.

Is this possible to do?
2 REPLIES
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

Re: Measuring bandwidth (SNMP) at the VLAN level

Have you tried using "ProCurve Manager 3.0"
which would give you such data in a neat graphical UI?
Check out :
http://www.procurve.com/products/management/ProCurve_Manager_Plus/overview.htm

meanwhile you may want to check out the etherStats MIB table under RMON mib [iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).mgmt(2).mib-2(1).rmon(16).statistics(1).etherStatsTable(1)] OR the dot1qPortVlanStatisticsEntry under Q-BRIDGE MIB?
These could possibly meet your needs?
nik martin
Occasional Contributor

Re: Measuring bandwidth (SNMP) at the VLAN level

Thank you for the information, but the KEY OID that would provide what I need, dot1qPortStatisticsTable (.1.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.1.4.6) is not available on a 5406zl. Is snmpwalk the only way to find a comprehensive list of what is available?

snmpwalk -c public -v2c .1.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.1.4.6

SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.17.7.1.4.6 = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID