Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meshing & VLANs w/ Cisco router

Jeff Wardlaw01
Occasional Contributor

Meshing & VLANs w/ Cisco router

Hi, I'm working with a client who has a bunch of HP5308s, most of which are using meshing to interconnect the switches. They are looking at implementing vlans, and, of course a L3 switch. They also have a cisco 35xx router on site, which is connecting a couple of network segments. I was thinking of using that (the 35xxx) as the L3 "switch" in order to avoid the meshing/l3 incompatibility.

Does this make sense? Are there any gotchas I should be aware of before recommending this?

Thanks!

Jeff
1 REPLY
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: Meshing & VLANs w/ Cisco router

Sounds good to me Jeff, keep the 5300 Mesh doing it's layer 2 VLANs only - use the 35xx externally to this to route between the VLANs.

If you want to have a redundant connection to the Mesh from the 35xx, you need to enable STP on each one of the Mesh switches.