7042 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Modem can not hear dial tone

SOLVED
Go to solution
Becky Thornton

Modem can not hear dial tone

I am trying to get a HP Pavilion M70 computer connected to the internet. This worked perfectly until today. Now when I try to connect to internet, it says the modem can not detect a dial tone. This is a dial up connection and the wall plug works fine. Can anyone help me with this problem, please. The computer is running Windows 98.
7 REPLIES 7
Derek Whigham_1
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Modem can not hear dial tone

Has this worked on the same phone connection before , Are you now using an extension lead.

Things to check

1) Check that the phone dialer can phone a number
2) Check the cable from the modem

The reply back.
Divide and Conquer
Becky Thornton

The phone line works. The phone line connects directly to the back of the computer. Everything is connected as far as I can tell. Thank you. I have taken a telephone and used it on the phone line.
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Hi Becky

Two possibilities:
1. Has your company changed anything in the dial tone frequence? Try to change connection propertie to don't wait for dial tone.
2. If this doesn't help, perhaps your modem is damaged, I mean, is dumb at all. Same thing happened to me some time ago, and was solved only by changing modem.

Good luck
Jorge
Becky Thornton

Thank you for the replies. I have set it to not wait for the dial tone. I am afraid that the modem is damaged, so will just replace it, I guess. Thanks everyone.
Shawn
Honored Contributor

If you have a storm in your area recently it could be your modem. It dosen't take much to knock them out. If you change the modem it would be a good idea to get a power bar surge protector with a phone line plug on it.
Becky Thornton

Thank you Shawn. I have one of those surge protectors. But, the phone line was not connected. (As it should have been) Yes, there was a storm, but for some reason my brain did not register it until I read your reply!! Problem solved!!
Becky Thornton

My modem needs replacing.