108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitoring a ProCurve 2824 via SNMP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Oliver_36

Monitoring a ProCurve 2824 via SNMP

Hi,

I would like to monitor some ProCurve 2824 via SNMP from a linux box. Is there an documentation of the snmp-variables? For example I would like to monitor the fan status and speed and so on.

thx help!

Regards,
Oliver
13 REPLIES 13
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

You can start by downloading the MIBs
http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/MIBs.htm

You can also walk the MIBs with the walkMIB command as explained in the documentation that comes with the switches. I prefer to walk it with MG-SOFT.
Oliver_36

I have downloaded the MIBs, at the moment i use the net-snmp tools to get the information from the switches. Where can I found the software walkMIB or MG-SOFT? I'm not very familiar with the HP Software.

Regards,
Oliver

Hi !

In net-snmp you can use this command :

snmpwalk -On -c public -v 1 IP-ADDRESS

Then you can browse the switch to see what
snmp information you can get out of the switch.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

WalkMIB is a switch OS CLI command
MG-SOFT is available from http://www.mg-soft.com/index.html
Rajinikanth_1
Advisor

Use Advent MIB Browser. its a java program with GUI user friendly.

or

As you have Net-SNMP installed you can use the following command on terminal to get information

snmpwalk -v 2c -c

you can walk without giving any OID or use this OID < .1.3.6.1.4.1.11>.

Oliver_36

I understand how to use the net-snmp package, my question is: which OID is for the fan status, fan speed, the thermal sensors and so on - is there an document that describe these things?

Regards,
Oliver
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Is there a document publicly available? I think not. That is where a good SNMP tool like MG-SOFT can be your friend. You could of course just scour through the uncompiled MIBs since almost every OID has some sort of description, but if you use MG-SOFT to walk the MIB, you can see both the OID and the description.

BTW, I just did a quick walk through my 2848 and did not see any values in the OIDs you are looking for so I suspect that HP may not report those values. Maybe if you are lucky, someone will prove me wrong.
Rajinikanth_1
Advisor

HI!
first lets make clear you must Load the correct MIB file to get the OIDs for fan, sensors and temp etc.

try to load the correct MIBs in ur MIB BROWSER and then try to walk ,you might get what you are actually looking for.

http://www.oidview.com/mibs/detail.html
select enterprise HP then you get a lots of MIB files on the link above for different information.depending on your requirement download the Mibs and load it on MIB BROWSER

I am attaching a HPentmib try using it first.
Oliver_36

Hi Rajinikanth,

thx for your informations.

I load the HP MIBs in my MIB Browser but I can't walk through the OIDs. For example:

There is an OID: .1.3.6.1.4.11.2.3.7.8.3.3 (icfTemperatureSensor)

If I do:
snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 10.0.255.200 .1.3.6.1.4.11.2.3.7.8.3.3
I get: SNMPv2-SMI::private.11.2.3.7.8.3.3 = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID

I think this OID should available on the switch if there is an entry in the MIB Browser?

thx for help!