1748175 Members
4413 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Multi-chassis LACP

Ian Terry

Multi-chassis LACP

Hi

Looking at a solution for a customer whereby I can hopefully eliminate Spanning Tree.

Does HP Procurve support multi-chassis LACP? I would like to have Edge switches connected to the Core switches in a similar logical approach to that of server-to-switch distributed trunking.

By doing this I am hoping that I can remove spanning tree but prevent looping.

Recently engaged in a project to deploy Arista Networks where MC-LACP worked well and hoping that HP has the same protocol support or can offer something similar.

Many thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Re: Multi-chassis LACP

HP Switches does not support that, the aggregation links should start and end on the same switches.
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ian

You might want to look at distributed trunk on the 2910 and 5400 / 8200 / 3500.

HTH

HP switches *do* support this feature. It is available in the K.14 train for 35xx/54xx/66xx/82xx, not sure about W.14 for 2910.

The feature is named "Distributed Trunking", please look at http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/3500-5400-6200-6600-8200-MCG-Mar10-12-PortTrunk.pdf
Ian Terry

Many thanks for the replys

I will take a look at distributed trunks as this sounds like it could be what I am looking for.

Many thanks again

Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Please NOTE the below :

The downstream device is a Distributed Trunking Device (DTD). Only servers are supported as DTDs.

So this only works between switches and server not switches and switches
Ian Terry

Yes - I am looking for switch-to-switches distributed trunking (multi-chassis LACP). I am aware that server-to-switch distributed trunking is available.

Essentially I want to eliminate Spanning Tree (even RSTP) if possible at Layer2 but it doesn't appear to be possible with HP at this point.

Many thanks for your thoughts, comments and time - very much appreciated.
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ian

If it is a new network you might want to look on the 3com side. IRF and RVSF might help.

HTH
Ian Terry

Yes - I have already started to look at this although not had a full look. May have to look to deploy Procurve as leaf and Arista in the spine.

Many thanks again.